lavender orpington HEN or ROO northeast GA

Olwethen

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 4, 2011
near Athens GA
I ordered eggs thru the mail and had a lovely clutch hatch out May 1. Due to a persistent fox, I am now down to 4 "babies." If I post pics, can you tell me hen or roo? Of the 4 remaining, I am afraid 3 are Roosters.
sad.png

Do the hens ever have combs? I'm holding out hope.

As a side note, I am wanting to keep only one rooster, so if I do have 3 boys, 2 will be for sale. And I'm looking for pullets.

Stephanie In GA

I have three lavenders that hatched the 8th of either April or May (don't ask). Post pics and I can tell you how they compare to mine. I have three. One was obviously a roo from the day I got him. The other two are likely pullets, but have very different maturation. If not for the roo, I would be convinced that my more mature pullet is a roo. Her comb rivals the roos, but is not as red. Maybe you have 4 pullets with one slow to mature.

here are pics. there are 4 babies. I am calling them 1,2,3,4 for reference.

Below is baby 1

below is baby 1 in the front and baby 2 in the back

Below, we have baby 3

and finally, baby 4. her face is darker and she really has no comb to speak of.

baby 4 again below. I'm pretty sure she is a she. please correct me if I'm wrong.

Pullets do get combs and wattles, yes, but not until the are maturing and ready to lay eggs.

I'm afraid your suspicions were correct - I believe 1, 2 and 3 are all roos and 4 is a pullet.

Baby #1 looks like my roo - no tail. He had a red comb when I got them. I have two pullets, one looks like #3, one looks like #4. I'm a little confused on my hatch day - 8th of May or 8th of April. So I either have a slow developing roo or an early developing hen.

I guess at some point they will either start crowing or will start laying eggs.

Back
Top Bottom