Lavender Orpington? Hen or rooster?

melissathib

In the Brooder
May 21, 2016
DeRidder, Louisiana
I purchased this oh-so-pretty baby on May 28 and was told she was about 2-3 weeks old. The seller said she is a Lavender Orpington hen. Opinions? I sure hope she's at least a hen; she's so beautiful! Thanks!

Well, that sounds just wonderful! Thank you!
smile.png

Ok, I watched a video about how to tell a hen from a rooster based on tail feathers, and this one seems to meet the rooster standard. Can you explain what made you say it's a pullet? Really hoping it is, but I'm scared of that thin tail and pointy tail feathers!

Thanks!

The saddle feathers are where you would be checking to see if your chickens are cockerels or pullets. I'm attaching a picture where I've circled the saddle feathers on a white Ameraucana cockerel--older than your bird, but I thought it would show clearly what you are looking for. Also--both are definitely Easter Eggers. Although, the white one at least has the right Ameraucana leg color (blue) but since the others have green, it is fair to assume they're all EEs. They're definitely not Lavender Opringtons.

In the photos, I don't see any dominantly male saddle feathers. I could be the angle of the photos though. After looking at the below photo, let us know if you see this type of super pointed saddle feather.

I just took some different pictures for you to look at. And I SO appreciate your help with this because these are such pretty babies.

So, this is my white one that I'm questioning. Pullet or cockerel?

This is the other one that I was told was an Ameraucana pullet. What do you think?

This is the one I was initially told was a Splash Orpington pullet, and then a Lavender or Blue Orpington cockerel. So confused! Your opinion?

And this is supposed to be a Barred Rock or Dominicker pullet, but others say cockerel.

Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom