LAVENDER ORPINGTON - Pullet or Cockerel

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Southpaw Power, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Southpaw Power

Southpaw Power Just Hatched

Sep 21, 2016
    Livermore, California
    Hi everybody, I'm back!

A few days ago I started a thread about my Silver Laced Wyandotte where I stated I was going to do the same with my Lavender Orpington and Cream Legbar. Lets touch base with "Lovey" Orpington first.

[​IMG] I'm not new with chickens, but the last time I had them is when I was (much) younger at the home I was born and grew up in. Back then I basically collected the eggs, feed them and cleaned up after them. We always had one Rooster, a bunch of hens and always chicks running around as well. The funny part about it is, it seemed to always be the same amount of the total of chickens in the coop. Except when the chicks were little, then it seemed like there was more. I'd ask my mother where some of them went and she always replied, "well they must of flew the coop I'm guessing." I was her number one helper in the kitchen too and since we were a large family of seven, we ate a lot of chicken. My Grandfather always told me that the eggs that were really big when they opened had "fryer" chickens inside instead of the yoke......[​IMG] Ok, enough talking about my childhood memories, and yes they actually did tell me that. One of my other favorite lessons learned from my Grandfather was, "do not stir the gravy too fast, for it will bruise it". My Grandfather was a genius! I did have one rooster and two hens when my kids were little, but my daughter kept on hiding the eggs in which I had way more chicks then I did have eggs. We had to move so a nice family adopted my children - kidding! They adopted my flock. My children ate a lot of chicken too. [​IMG]

Back to "Lovey". To follow is some pictures of her. To me, I'm feeling good about her being a pullet. Please everybody let me know what you think.

Thanks again, Southpaw

1 week old
    [​IMG]

2 weeks old
    [​IMG]

3 weeks old
    [​IMG]

4 weeks old
    [​IMG]

5 weeks old
    [​IMG]

5 weeks old
    [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Early comb development for a pullet. [​IMG]

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm thinking cockerel.

4. Southpaw Power

Sep 21, 2016
    Livermore, California
    Your thoughts are the same as mine as of right now. At first that's what I was thinking too, but, I've looked at other pictures about the same age which some have about the same size. The color of the comb is light in color too.

So all I can do is [​IMG] and [​IMG]

Thank you for your response. I will keep everybody posted as my new babies grow.

5. Southpaw Power

Sep 21, 2016
    Livermore, California
    [​IMG] That is my opinion as of now too. So all I can do is [​IMG] and [​IMG]

Thank you for your response. I will keep everyone posted as they get older.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm also thinking cockerel.

Orps are slow to mature, so this one may keep you guessing for a while. But for a slower developing strain, that's just too much comb for a pullet at this age. Hope for your sake I'm wrong. Let us know how things look around 8 weeks.

7. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    Agree, looking like a cockerel with that comb development. :( But Orps can surprise you! Beautiful boy/girl though! And loved the memories! :D

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm thinking cockerel but beautiful bird either way

9. Southpaw Power

Sep 21, 2016
    Livermore, California
    [​IMG] Yes, I'm sure "he" would be as handsome as can be, BUT - I can not have roosters where I live besides the fact I only want them for their eggs and company. I had two others who came out to be cockerels as well. Couldn't come to eat them due to I paid extra for their breed and for being females. I found a good home for one of them, but the other is only in a "no kill" sanitary for now.

I can only hope for that "she" has a lot of early development. She is the most friendliest chick I have right now. When I open the cage door, she's right there then quickly goes up my arm to my shoulder. Of course the other two will follow. I'm pretty friendly with all my girls, which follow me anywhere and impatiently waits for me to go to the coop.

Thanks for all your help. I will keep you posted.

10. Southpaw Power

Sep 21, 2016
    Livermore, California
    [​IMG] I'm hoping for the surprise part of it. She is the sweetest chick I've ever had, so far. Thanks for your help. I will keep everybody posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by