Lavender orpington sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NewFeathersInCo, Sep 10, 2016.

1. NewFeathersInCo

NewFeathersInCo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2015
    Colorado
    Hello, I have three lavender orpingtons and I am thinking I have two hens and one roo. Can I have someone confirm this. Thanks for viewing and commenting in advance.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Yup, you're correct. You've got a lovely trio there.

3. NewFeathersInCo

Apr 26, 2015
    Colorado
    Thank you, not sure what to do with the roo. My main reason for having chickens is just for eggs. Not really ready to be having baby chicks. Any advice?

4. jenniferqui72

jenniferqui72 Just Hatched

Aug 4, 2016
    Yes u do i have a hen and a roo

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x2

6. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

The roo will help protect the hens. If you are wanting the eggs, but do not want having chicks, then make sure that you collect the eggs daily. Chicks only happen when the egg has been incubated by the hen or in an incubator.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    lovely trio 2 pullets 1 cockerel

8. NewFeathersInCo

Apr 26, 2015
    Colorado
    Ok then silly or I guess stupid question. I thought the egg gets fertilized before it is laid. So if I broke open a fertilized egg for breakfast wouldn't it have a baby chick inside. Even if it was collected right away. The protection is fine for me. I just don't want any fertilized eggs.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If you don't want fertilized eggs, you'll have to get rid of the rooster or house him apart from the hens.

A rooster will mate any hen when they're both of age. When rooster mates a hen, her eggs will be fertile for about 2 weeks.

That said.....you'll never be able to tell the difference. Folks the world round have eaten fertile eggs every day and no problems. I've personally kept roosters with my laying flocks for 20 years and except whenI was ill and not able to care for the birds myself, there have been no icky surprises.

Once a egg is fertile, it hangs out in a kind of stasis until it's incubated. You have to incubate an egg at about 100 degrees for 3 days to start to get blood vessel developmnet.

If you collect your eggs daily or even every other day, no development will start. You'll never get a partially developed chick in an egg.

But, as I said, if the thought is too [​IMG], get rid of the rooster. No reason to keep him, really, if you're not going to be breeding. He's just taking up pen space you could use for another layer.

10. NewFeathersInCo

Apr 26, 2015
    Colorado
    Thank you. That was really great advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by