Lavender Orpington...straight run from breeder or sexed from hatchery?

DraftXJumper

Songster
May 27, 2017
Wisconsin
Hi all! I live in town (until I get my dream house one day!) and am limited on number of hens (no roosters). I am debating getting a straight run from a local breeder vs sexed from a hatchery. I have a friend who will take any cockerels. I like the idea of “guaranteed” pullets, but also the idea of a better stock of animal. Thoughts??

RiverOtter

Crowing
11 Years
Nov 4, 2009
NY
Get the hatchery birds. You might be unlucky and get all roosters if you go straight run, and "better stock" is better -very specifically- for showing, not health or egg laying. They are often very slow to mature - waiting 8 to 10 months for your first egg from show stock of a large or heavy breed is not uncommon.

Last edited:

rosemarythyme

Scarborough Fair
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
My Coop
Hmm, I could see going either way on this, because at least you have a home ready in case it is a cockerel. But it would be a little upsetting too if you really want one of these and end up getting a boy (which means trying for a girl some other time).

I agree if you're interested in showing, or even breeding, then the breeder's birds have the potential of being much closer to standard. But if it's just as a backyard pet or an egg layer, hatchery bird should do just fine.

Top Bottom