Lavender Orpington with dark patches on comb?

IroquoisEgg

Songster
9 Years
May 30, 2010
Fair Oaks, CA
Hey BYC,

My almost 4 month old cockerel has dark black splotches on his comb and wattles. They've been there since he was just a chick, his "sister" has it too. It is not scabs or any fowl pox because it is actually th e coloring of his skin. Here's a couple pics:

59074_misckidzgradroosters_021.jpg

If they are the dark purplish/blue marks, they turn black, that normally is from frost bite/extreme cold, lack of oxygen, could even have been from some sort of trauma to the combs ie: being pecked. As long as they don't appear to be in bad health its nothing to worry about, if they are blue/purplish from lack of oxygen then they would be showing signs of being sick. Certainly is a lovley coloured bird!
smile.png

Last edited:
Thank you very much! It is his actual skin color, which I am guessing is just one of those genetics things..his sister has the same coloring.

I don't know exactly what they call it when they have the dark coloring in them but I can tell you that from my own personal experience with my lavender orpingtons that the dark color goes away as they mature. The comb and wattles get bigger and become normal bright red.
smile.png

If it is the skin color, I am sure it will change to full red by maturity. Not sure what would cause it though. I had a couple rooster get in a fight that made the one's comb look like that. Bruised maybe? He healed up fine and it is pure red now.

Hey BYC,

My almost 4 month old cockerel has dark black splotches on his comb and wattles. They've been there since he was just a chick, his "sister" has it too. It is not scabs or any fowl pox because it is actually th e coloring of his skin. Here's a couple pics:

59074_misckidzgradroosters_021.jpg
Is there any update on this? My lavender orpington has solid grey comb, beak, wattles, and shanks that blend with her skin.

Is there any update on this? My lavender orpington has solid grey comb, beak, wattles, and shanks that blend with her skin.
I see this is an old post but would be interested to know any updates. I have one 16 week old that has red comb the other has red waddles coming in but the comb is her skin color lavender or grey.

Back
Top Bottom