Lavender Orpington x Barred Rock Cross?

ashleymr44

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 10, 2013
I was wondering if anyone out there has any pictures of a lavender orp crossed with barred rock or what it might look like?
We have 10 barred rock hens and have added in some lavender Orpington chicks. They will all be in the same coop and we are almost certain that the egg colors will be too hard to tell apart.

Do you think if we hatched them, will I be able to tell the breeds apart? Full lavender from 1/2 lavender/ 1/2 barred rock?
Do you think people will want to purchase them? Will they be sex linked?

Yes, they will be sex linked, and yes, you will be able to tell the difference.

The pure Lavender Orp chicks will look, well, just like Lavender Orps.

The Lav Orp X BR chicks will produce pure black female chicks and heterozygous, dark Barred male offspring. At hatch cockerels will have a white dot on their heads. None will be Lavender; this is because the Lavender gene is recessive and will not show when only found in one copy. They will of course all be split for (carry) the Lavender gene, and so if bred back to Lavender or another Lav split, they will produce some Lavender offspring as well.

That is great! thank you!!! I was thinking that as well, but I have a hard time following the genetics and science behind it all.

Yes, they will be sex linked, and yes, you will be able to tell the difference.

The pure Lavender Orp chicks will look, well, just like Lavender Orps.

The Lav Orp X BR chicks will produce pure black female chicks and heterozygous, dark Barred male offspring. At hatch cockerels will have a white dot on their heads. None will be Lavender; this is because the Lavender gene is recessive and will not show when only found in one copy. They will of course all be split for (carry) the Lavender gene, and so if bred back to Lavender or another Lav split, they will produce some Lavender offspring as well.
New to the chick world.. so if you mix the lavender with the BR all the babies that are black are hens and all the BR colored are males?

Thanks for reviving this thread, I have very similar questions, but slightly more complex... Would the outcome be the same as above (aside from size) if the rooster is a Barred Rock (Bantam) and hen is a Lavender Orpington (Standard Size). Would all chicks be bantam, full size, or a random mixture of both? Thanks in advance

Thanks for reviving this thread, I have very similar questions, but slightly more complex... Would the outcome be the same as above (aside from size) if the rooster is a Barred Rock (Bantam) and hen is a Lavender Orpington (Standard Size). Would all chicks be bantam, full size, or a random mixture of both? Thanks in advance
As far as I understand, no. The barring has to come from the hens and passes to the male offspring. The roo having the batting would not produce sex linked chicks

Back
Top Bottom