Lavender Orpington?

Pics

MINchick

Chirping
Jan 31, 2019
I picked up this chick about four weeks ago from a breeder and was told this one along with one other are Lavender Orpingtons. Well, the Brahma she sold us apparently isn't a Brahma and now I'm questioning whether this is actually an Orpington at all. We've raised Buff Orps in the past and they have always had an obvious single comb. This chicks comb is flat, almost like a pea comb or rose comb. At this age even a female should have a distinguishable single comb, right? I guess my question is, are these two actually Orpingtons?
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20201229164548377.jpg
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20201229164601052.jpg
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20201229164553803.jpg

I'll also include pictures in the comments of the other "Orpington" chick who is darker and who's comb is even less noticeable.

I picked up this chick about four weeks ago from a breeder and was told this one along with one other are Lavender Orpingtons. Well, the Brahma she sold us apparently isn't a Brahma and now I'm questioning whether this is actually an Orpington at all. We've raised Buff Orps in the past and they have always had an obvious single comb. This chicks comb is flat, almost like a pea comb or rose comb. At this age even a female should have a distinguishable single comb, right? I guess my question is, are these two actually Orpingtons?View attachment 2467806View attachment 2467807View attachment 2467808

I'll also include pictures in the comments of the other "Orpington" chick who is darker and who's comb is even less noticeable.
I don't believe this one is pure because Orps have single combs.
I may be blind but from what I can tell this one has a single comb.

I've never had LO so I could be wrong but their beaks also look the wrong color.

My lav orps as chicks were definitely “lavender” and had fairly dark slate/bluish legs. One I hatched and one is from a hatchery.
I honestly don't know the difference between blue and lavender. She did have lavender and splash, or so she said. The first is a very light lavender/gray with light gray legs. The second is medium gray with darker legs.

I honestly don't know the difference between blue and lavender. She did have lavender and splash, or so she said. The first is a very light lavender/gray with light gray legs. The second is medium gray with darker legs.
Blue is darker than lavender and has more varying shades on the bird. Lavender tends to stay solid. Blue often makes the hackle feathers darker than the rest, and on roosters the saddles aswell.

This one looks like she might be a splash.
I got a Buff Brahma once that was supposed to be an EE, from a hatchery that supposably didn't have any Brahmas. Then I got an Ameruacana pullet that grew up and crowed! I also got six white Jersey Giants. One was really big. The other five- well, my Grandpa said that he sees the "Jersey" in them, but not the "Giant." Turns out that five of them were Tetra Tints aka, Amber Stars. A supposably not common breed. So, mistakes do happen.
Your first chick looks like it might be Lavender/Self Blue, or white, but as far as Orpington, it doesn't have the comb. What other chicken breeds do they have? If you're not sure and don't want to sound suspicious asking, ask like you're interested in getting others. Then, you should hopefully know what your chicks might be. Also, find out if they're doing any mix/cross breeding. If so, that might be leaving you guessing the mix. Just find out what chickens are on their farm, and if anybody else's birds are nearby getting into the mix.
I guess you got to be kinda like a detective. Don't worry, it's always fun. ;)
Cute chicks! :love

This one looks like she might be a splash.
I got a Buff Brahma once that was supposed to be an EE, from a hatchery that supposably didn't have any Brahmas. Then I got an Ameruacana pullet that grew up and crowed! I also got six white Jersey Giants. One was really big. The other five- well, my Grandpa said that he sees the "Jersey" in them, but not the "Giant." Turns out that five of them were Tetra Tints aka, Amber Stars. A supposably not common breed. So, mistakes do happen.
Your first chick looks like it might be Lavender/Self Blue, or white, but as far as Orpington, it doesn't have the comb. What other chicken breeds do they have? If you're not sure and don't want to sound suspicious asking, ask like you're interested in getting others. Then, you should hopefully know what your chicks might be. Also, find out if they're doing any mix/cross breeding. If so, that might be leaving you guessing the mix. Just find out what chickens are on their farm, and if anybody else's birds are nearby getting into the mix.
I guess you got to be kinda like a detective. Don't worry, it's always fun. ;)
Cute chicks! :love

She breeds probably twenty different breeds and colors. All of her breeds are kept separate and she doesn't do any cross breeding. She actually breeds for a lot of 4H kids and usually to breed standard. She seemed to have a pretty good set up for breeding stock. Small breeding groups and only one breed/group out at a time to free range (nobody near her has any chickens). As far as breeds she has, Orpingtons, Cochins, Salmon Faverolle, Leghorns, Brahmas (light only), true Ameraucanas, Barred Rocks, Australorps and a few others. Many in different colors.

Back
Top Bottom