Lavender Orpington?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by joletabey, Jan 21, 2010.

1. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I used "search" and didn't come up with anything, but I thought there had been a thread about someone's lavender Orpington project that explained how you get one - as in how you know a bird has the lavender gene and who you breed it to- any one help me on this?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Did you search for 'Lilac' or 'Lavender'?

3. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Where was my brain? I did search for lavender, and have NO idea why I put lilac in the header. . . is it Friday yet????

4. alicefelldown

Aug 18, 2008
  5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    do your search as lavender orp, you will find a ton of stuff.

6. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    From what I've read you get a Lavender Ameraucana and breed that to a Black ORPINGTON, then take the offspring which have a single comb to each other. Then keep going to each generations best and most typiest Orp looking offspring each year. IF you choose to do this, get a darn nice Black Orp. That Orp will bring the size and fluff that true orpingtons have to your project.

7. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    I think it'd be much easier just to go ahead and get some birds from hinkjc/wilds of pa. Great looking birds there! [​IMG]

8. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    I just got 3 Lavender Orpington Project eggs from ONTHESPOT

9. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    It probably would be easier to buy them, but I wanted to know how to start - when I looked on the search, I didn't see where you could ignore sales stuff - all I got was eggs for sale!
    They sure are pretty, pretty babies.

10. alicefelldown

Aug 18, 2008
    Quote:As far as I know, there is no way to exclude any particular forums if you wanted to search on the rest of the site, the only available option is to search one section at a time. I searched all the sections and just skipped past the ones in the sale sections. Pretty easy all in all.

Quote:Who got them from Hinkjc.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by