Lavender Orpingtons... BUT WHAT GENDER ARE THEY?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by djaousfarm, Oct 30, 2016.

1. djaousfarm

djaousfarm Just Hatched

Oct 30, 2016
    Hessel, Michigan
    I have 4 Lavender Orpingtons, and two have small combs and the other have a little larger combs.. they are all about the same size and I think they are 3-4 months old? I ordered 2 straight run, 1 female, and 1 male.

Please help :)

[​IMG]

The one closest to the camera is one of the chickens that has a larger comb. Sorry, I know this isn't the best of pictures.

1 person likes this.
  2. microchick

microchick Overrun With Chickens

I would wager a guess that the one in the background and the one in the left foreground are pullets. The one with the slightly larger comb isn't screaming cockerel at me but my one and only LO was a pullet until she sprouted saddle feathers and started to crow. So time will tell.

Pretty trio.

3. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] SO glad you joined us! [​IMG]

These are a little confusing for me, since my Lav boy developed a large, red comb EARLY. I'm almost leaning towards pullets at the current time, but a couple more weeks should tell us for sure. [​IMG] Lovely birdies! [​IMG]

~Alex

4. djaousfarm

djaousfarm Just Hatched

Oct 30, 2016
    Hessel, Michigan
    Thank you!
    One is acting more protective and standing guard more so Im thinking he's a rooster, I just hope the other three are hens!!!!

5. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

You're welcome! Those could definitely be signs of a cockerel, but one thing I've learned so far in my short time of keeping chickens is that you can't always put too much stock in behaviors. [​IMG] I've had dominant, aggressive chicks who have turned out to be pullets, and shy, quiet ones who are young roos. Here's how my cockerel looked at about 6-7 weeks of age:
    [​IMG]
    ~Alex

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think the one on the left (first photo) is a pullet - the right one (forward) and the one behind it are both developing wattles though not screaming roo but, I would keep an eye on them.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Alexandra your cockerel is beautiful.

8. djaousfarm

djaousfarm Just Hatched

Oct 30, 2016
    Hessel, Michigan
    I agree, that cockerel is beautiful.

9. laura buchanan

laura buchanan Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    Alexandra,
    How early did his comb develop?
    I have 4 that are three 1/2 weeks, one comb is larger and the beak has hardly any black, unlike the other three that are almost all black any can barley see comb?
    I know it's really early, but I ordered 5, 4 female, one male, but one died and I'm hoping it wasn't the roo.....

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by