Lavender Orpingtons dob June 5, 2017

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DigChickens, Jun 14, 2017.

1. DigChickens

DigChickens Just Hatched

Jun 14, 2017
    Victoria, BC
    Interested in knowing what sex you think my 6 Lavender Orpingtons are; I determined pretty early that number 1 is a roo. His wings, tail and stance are very different then the other 5 which I am hoping are pullets. Number one has just a tiny round fluff tail while the other 5 have very noticeable tall feathers growing.

What do you think?

This is my first baby chicks. Our first chickens turned 4 months old yesterday; 2 Buff Orpingtons and 2 Black Austrolops.

Attached Files:

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Much too young to tell anything for sure yet. With Orpingtons the rooster will usually feather out more slowly and the combs will start to get larger and pink around 5-6 weeks of age. My boys will often stay naked for a while with only wing tufts while the pullets are mostly feathered out.

3. DigChickens

DigChickens Just Hatched

Jun 14, 2017
    Victoria, BC

4. DigChickens

DigChickens Just Hatched

Jun 14, 2017
    Victoria, BC
    Thanks for your thoughts, 5 have really long wing feathers. Will be interesting to see if I chose well.

5. NewChick7

NewChick7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2013
    This is totally not the place and but I can not figure for the life of me how to post a question? I've signed up and am logged in. Any help would be appreciated.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Go to the forum you want to post in and at the top right there's a button that says start new thread.

7. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    First click on the heading for the topic you want to post in, such as above "what breed or gender" and then there will be a button that appears under that to the right that says post a new thread. At least thats how it looks on my phone.

8. DigChickens

DigChickens Just Hatched

Jun 14, 2017
    Victoria, BC
    What do you want to ask about? Search the forums and when you go to the one you want there is a "Post New Thread" to the right of the selection.
    upload_2017-6-14_12-24-27.png

9. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Much to young, especially for Orpingtons as they are very slow developers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by