Lavender Orp's

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pusskatkins, Nov 19, 2010.

1. pusskatkins

pusskatkins Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Virginia
    I bought Lavender Orp eggs from a breeder on BYC. Only one of them hatched gray, the others hatched yellow. The person labeled the shells "LO", and the eggs were light colored brown. Since I have absolutely no experience with this breed, can anyone why?
    Will these chicks be a light gray when they mature, or is it something else that I don't want to learn and will be unhappy with?
    Please help.
    Thanks![​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Since I'm not the one you bought from (lol)I will tell you that Lavender are a project color in the works in Orpingtons. They should hatch silvery grey with a touch of yellow. That's why it's stated that's it's a project bird. Maybe you have some with the mottled lavender gene.

It's not a breed per say! Long way to go to call these Orpington standards. These will need taken back to Black Orps to keep improving the color and the standard.

I have an idea why LO (Lavender Orp) was added you will have to ask the person you bought the eggs from, it's the pen they have them in. My lav girls lay from a dark sometimes to a light large egg.

<--------Some of my Lavender project girls in my Avatar.

3. pusskatkins

Jun 18, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:I'm very disappointed. I expected Lavender Orp's, because that was the advertisement. The price was a pretty penny just for yellow chicks.

Thank you!

4. Braclin

Braclin KY Chicken Farmer

Jul 5, 2010
    Owingsville,KY
    I have Lav Orps and bought from a trusted breeder/projector. If you could post some pics of your chicks maybe we can get you a better understanding of what you really have. IMHO if you are paying for something you should do some extensive research IMHO I have been burned in the past and learned my lesson. Like tuff said they are a project bird so there is no standard and some of the colors used to get the lav color can rear their heads alot in the early generations. [​IMG]

5. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Are you sure they aren't mottled lavender, being almost completely yellow with a light gray (lavender) spot or two??? [​IMG] That would be my only thought, that you hatched both lavender and mottled lavender. Good luck resolving your question. Would love to see pictures too. [​IMG]

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    This is why everyone should understand that these birds are a project and will take years to get them to the correct standard/type and for the color even to be recognized for Orpingtons.

It's very disappointing to see people thinking they have something that they don't!

It's a PROJECT people and with any project who knows what will pop up!

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Hi, I responded to you on the other thread too, but I noticed that you also hatched wheaton marans. I don't know anything about them, but most wheaton breeds hatch yellowish. Were all the eggs in the same hatcher? Are you sure the yellow chick hatched from the orp eggs? As I mentioned, lavender mottled is a known throwback from the project lines.

Here are some pics of the birds that feather in mottled. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5137562#p5137562

8. pusskatkins

Jun 18, 2010
    Virginia
    So, these are projects! I wasn't aware of it. So they may develop into a gray later. Thanks for clearing this up!
    [​IMG]

This one has a faint gray area on his back.

[​IMG]

The yellow chick on the left hatched from the egg, labeled Wheaten. It was a dark egg.
    The others are a Black Copper, and "Lavender Orp", and another yellow chick with a small gray haze over it's back.

[​IMG]

9. Braclin

Braclin KY Chicken Farmer

Jul 5, 2010
    Owingsville,KY
    The yellow chick with the gray area will be your Lav mottle chick. In my opinion they turn out just as pretty. Heres a pic of my mottle.

[​IMG]

Shes a Sept. Hatch. Gets prettier everyday.

10. pusskatkins

Jun 18, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:Thank you for responding. Yes, the Wheaton hatched from the labeled, dark brown egg about 5 am this morning. She was the only one in the incubator hatched at that point.
    The others were hatched yesterday morning and clearly came from the light colored eggs labeled "LO". Well, with the exception of the BC, he came from the dark one!

[​IMG] Thanks a bunch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by