Lavender pair....are they pure bred?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RockBottomRanch, Aug 3, 2014.

1. RockBottomRanch

RockBottomRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2014
    [​IMG]

Do these guys look like pure bred lavenders?

2. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

Yes they look like mine, here's a pic

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the bottom pic with the 2 pullets the one on left is a blue orpington on the right lavender

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Pure bred what? Lavender is a color, not a breed. I'm not seeing a breed jumping out, they don't look like Orpingtons, or Ameraucanas....what other breed is popular in lavender right now?

4. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

There is lavendar leghorns, polish lavender, birchen lavender Marans, Dutch lavenders, lavender laced brahmas, and Cochin lavender. That's what I know off the top of my head! :)

And the ones you named

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  5. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

I'm thinking they know Lavendar is a color and not a breed but if not they do now. I think they just wanted to know if their chickens were lavender! :)

6. RockBottomRanch

RockBottomRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2014
    Excuse me...sorry to not be specific enough. I knew that there could be lavender anything; but I assumed that they were orpingtons. I wasn't sure if they looked full enough to be orpington or not...if not, what breed do you think they are? They didn't come as a pair, I got them separately, and realize that they could be two different breeds.

7. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

I disagree with OP, I 100% think your Roo is an Orpington. He looks just like mine now! Your girl resembles mine somewhat. I will take new pics of mine tomorrow, their about 7 weeks older than the pic I put up!

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I guess their parents both could have been called Orpingtons, but they're really poor type for Orps. Too much tail, set too high on both birds, for starters. I don't really know how else to describe it, but Orpingtons should look like a round, fluffy basketball. These birds are both very upright looking.

[​IMG]

some eye candy pics to help show what I'm not good at describing. So NOT my pics (I wish!), borrowed from this thread...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/386051/the-imported-english-orpington-thread

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by