lavender silkie-how does this happen?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sonew123, Apr 7, 2009.

1. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    What do you have to cross to get a lavendar silkie? I think Im thinking of the right breed?

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    In order to get the color, another breed must be introduced. Most use black to cross to self blue and all the resulting offspring would be black split to lav. Those f1 birds could either be bred together to create 25% visual lav, 50% split lav, and 25% black, but this would create a problem in which it would be impossible to tell the blacks from the split lav as they would both be visually black, so f1 could be bred back to the original lav bird to create 50% lav, 50% split lav offspring. The original lav bird could be retired as the color is now set in the crosses. From there, the f2 lavs can be bred to black silkies to yield all split lavs. The f3 could be bred back to the f2 lavs to get 50% lavs and those can be bred back to a black silkie. This would go on until a desired result is reached. It takes several years to get a new variety established in a breed.

If you wanted to take the easier approach, you could always order some of the self blue silkie chicks Ideal offers and just start breeding them to nice blacks to improve the type.

Heavy culling would be necessary in both cases.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    You can also spend the $$ and purchase from a breeder who has lavenders.

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

You cross a white with a blue, and then mate the offspring with a buff..... [​IMG]

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Don't Chris--someone will take you seriously [​IMG]

Yes, I know an identical thread (I believe it has exactly the same title) was here within the last week. Perhaps there needs to be a lavender sticky.

6. Poulets De Cajun

Quote:there needs to be something, obviously..... the search feature seems to be inoperable apparently.

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Chris? That's funny I would have taken you seriously if the person didnt post such an intelligent answer just before you-but I appreciate your humor! Being such a newbie and all I can see where we can be annoying but to tell the truth-we idolize you guys and can't wait to be as intelligent as you awesome folks are with your knowledge in the poultry field. For me, I'm not looking for a chicken farm nor to make tons of money breeding-I'm looking for a hobby that I can truly enjoy and share it with others-eat eggs and have my freezer full of healthy meat--So Chris is it?...when I have enough experience to sound like LILPEEPS-I'll be waiting for you!!! LOL... [​IMG]

8. Poulets De Cajun

I'm sure it wouldn't bug me so much, but we just had this discussion as recent as last week. There is an entire thread dedicated to it, and I'm sure many more. Perhaps in the future, try using the search feature before posting such a common question.

Here I've done it for you this time...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=149401

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=142205

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=142725

Oh, and its very flattering, but please dont idolize me. Lord knows I still have WAY too much learning left to do, and NO WHERE near a professional breeder! I just try real hard....

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2009
  9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Thank you Chris- [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by