Lavender Silkie needed for Shawnee, OK Qualifying meet!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by debstein, Nov 3, 2010.

1. debstein

debstein Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2009
    Please, if anyone is within driving distance of Shawnee, OK - and has lavender silkies, Please consider showing at the APA qualifying meet on 12/11 and 12/12. We need to have 50 lavenders there and at least 5 exhibitors. We might have the # of exhibitors, but the 50 birds is gonna be really close, with Brenda and me bringing most of them. It would be tragic if 1 or 2 exhibitors don't show up and the lavs don't qualify. The birds shown don't need to be great, or even truly show quality - just decent examples of silkies in the lavender color without any DQs. This is a QUALIFYING meet, not a national show. We really need all the help with we can on this one, folks, and will really appreciate it.

The entries don't close until 11/16, so you still have time. Brenda or I will be happy to email an entry form if you don't have one.

Thanks in advance!

Deb Steinberg
    President
    American Silkie Bantam Club

2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    If I had one to bring I would come but unfortunately I don't have a Lavender silkie [​IMG]

3. fowlrus

fowlrus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Schertz TX
    I am bring one lav hen, it's not much help but this is my first time and a very long drive. So if you have 49 lav show up than my will count. [​IMG]

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Any idea how many lavender entries there are? And if someone enters their as lavender rather than self-blue, witll they count it and tag it as self-blue so that they all count. It would be incredibly frustrating if there are plenty of birds listed between both names, but not sufficient listed as self-blue, and they judged and qualified them separately.

5. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    At the ON, there were tons of lavs, but some were entered as lavender, some were entered as self blue. I don't know whether or not they were judged separately, but I'm sure this makes a difference. The Seramas just had their qualifying meet, and the quality of the birds DID make a difference. The verdict is not in yet, but the judge commented on earlobe color, condition, and size (although they all met weight requirements). If there is not sufficient quality there, they won't get in, and I assume that it's the same for the lavender Silkies. I have the lavender gene in my flock, so I wish all the exhibitors the best of luck!

6. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Quote:I noticed that at Ohio, too-- that some coop cards said Lavender and some Self-blue. But I also noticed that the ones that had said Lavender had been crossed out and re-marked as Self-blue. [​IMG] I am assuming that Self-blue is going to be the official name of the color variety when they qualify? I am not a Silkie person, so I have no idea.

Best of luck in OK to everyone! I think it is very exciting to see new varieties added to the standard. [​IMG]

7. debstein

Oct 7, 2009
    Yes, there were about 7 birds that were entered as lavenders, and we made sure they were judged along with all the "self-blues" as part of the qualifying meet. Quality and consistency does count, but not more than it would count at any other show. In the self-blue qualifying meet at OH, most of the birds were extremely close in color, and the only marks I saw on the coop cards were the same marks you would expect at any other show, such as toes, crest, wings, etc. There were 3 or 4 birds marked for 'color' - one of them was my pullet who is a little light, but is definitely a lavender! Several other birds actually looked like very light regular blues or washed out splashes, and when I asked about where they came from, it is very possible that they are lavender crossed on blue or splash. There were around 40 self-blue silkies, so plenty to make the cut of 25 required.
    Yes, self-blue will be the official name, at least for the time being......but I have been told "behind the scenes", that there is a lot of support for the name lavender among judges, however since there is already a precedent set for the color, they will have to vote the change in for the existing breeds that already use the self-blue name. Personally, I just want them recognized and able to compete for the top awards. I will always call them lavender.

And please come if you can and if you have lavenders....OH was so much fun, although the drive for us TX gals was absolute murder! Shawnee is one of the most fun, laid back and friendly shows I have ever attended, and we are gonna have a ball!!

Deb Steinberg
    President
    American Silkie Bantam Club

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:There is precedent for having two different names for the same variety, but in different breeds. Fawn silver duckwing vs chocolate and khaki, columbian vs light, silver partridge vs dark. Then there are identical names for dramatically different varieties: spangled (oegb vs hamburg), dark (cornish vs brahma). Getting a CHANGE to the standard (such as changing self-blue to lavender) seems like it would be more difficult than simply adding a new term for new breeds. I'm told that some self-blues, particularly in OEGBs are created with the blue gene, not the lavender.

9. debstein

Oct 7, 2009
    You're preaching to the choir, Suze! [​IMG] We don't determine the name of the variety, the APA and ABA do that. They have hobby names and genetic names and some of them go back so far, they will never be changed.
    Personally, after breeding and showing these birds all these years, I just want them recognized. Somebody else can get into a %#ssing match with the powers that be, I just want the lavenders to be able to compete for the top awards. [​IMG]

Deb

10. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Do you know if you guys got enough of them entered?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by