Lavender to Splash Orpington - who's done it, and what were the results?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Katz103, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Katz103

Katz103 In the Brooder

Aug 15, 2016
    Hi!
    I just got a dozen of lavender X splash orpington eggs, setting them in the incubator tomorrow. I'm finding it hard to figure out which color the chicks might be - the breeder showed me chicks she had from the same mix and they looked lavender to me, definitely not black, but her birds are all a beautiful shade of light purplish grey. Every couple of generations she mixes them back to black to keep the color she says. I'm not sure if or when she's mixed in blacks up until now, I know she's planning on doing it later this year though. She has two splash hens, two lavender hens covered by a lavender roo.
    My question is: has anyone ever bred a splash to a lavender before, and what colors came from these? I understand they will be considered barnyard mixes. I'm simply trying to understand the genetics behind it. Thanks!

2. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Lavender rooster over lavender hens equals all lavender offspring
    Lavender rooster over splash hens equals all blue offspring. They will be split for lavender.

3. Katz103

Katz103 In the Brooder

Aug 15, 2016
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: