Lavender vs Self Blue?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MoodyChicken, Feb 25, 2009.

1. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Is lavender the same thing as Self Blue? They look rather similar...

I was told to cross a Self Blue to a Black to get perfect blues... is this true?

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I'm pretty sure Lavender is just self blue [​IMG] As for your other question no clue lol

3. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    perfect blues? If you mean, regular blues that will throw some blues some blacks and splashes? Yes...I forget the blues genetics. The splash part might be wrong...

In pigeons the lavendar is different but then again so is the blue! And I don't think there is a self blue...hopefully I have confussed the issue even more for you

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Lavander in rabbits is a dillute of chocolate, so lavander in chickens is completley new to me lol!!!

However from what ive read on here self blue IS lavender. Comon genetic people help us out [​IMG]

5. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    My daughter has lavender bantam ameraucanas. The judge used self blue and lavender when mentioning her birds.

6. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Sorry to get off the subject but...dilute of chocolate! You don't say! Huh...I would have thought that would be like a dunn...works that way in pigeons...I think...yellow is dilute or red!...I think [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Lavender and Self Blue are the same thing. Called one name in the US and a different one across the pond. Lavender to lavender produces lavender, unlike the regular blues.

To keep blues from diluting too much over time, breeding in black to blue results in better blues. I am not up on lavender genetics, though. I prefer the regular blue, black and splash.

8. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Teach97, yes, you have made it worse. [​IMG]

By perfect blue, I meant perfect lacing, I'm coming from a show standard's perspective.

I know that Black, Blue, and Splash are all found on the same locus, they are alleles with black being homozygous dominant (BlBl), splash homozygous recessive (blbl), and bue heterozygous (Blbl).

I'm asking, is lavendar the same as self blue, and if so, is it an allele to black? It is denoted by the symbol lav, so it is obviosly recessive, but... related to the black locus?

9. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:Cool! Thanks! Is it an allele to black?

10. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Self blue will not have lacing. It should be the same color through out. If you cross Lav to Black then you will have some chicks that carry the lav gene. I haven't done the Lavs so some of the others breeding this color will be able to give a more definite expectation of what comes next to reproduce the color

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by