lavender?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by yotetrapper, Jul 18, 2008.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Okay, so my lavender is coming on strong. Other than sachets, or tied bunches of it, what do I DO with it? Open for any and all ideas, but what I'm really wanting to know is if there is a way to use the lavender from my garden for scenting homemade laundry detergent?

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Hmmm... not sure how you would do that without extracting the oil first. And, I have no idea how to extract oil..LOL I never did get that far... read a bout it a long while ago but never gave it a try... so it was not retained info [​IMG] I'm sure if you Googled it, you could find the info you need [​IMG]

I like to use it in Dream Pillows [​IMG]

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I bought soem fabulous lavender-peach and lavender-blueberry jam at a farmers market last year.
    This is from recipezaar for Lavender Peach jam.
    http://www.recipezaar.com/293113
    I would think the infusing method is good for all recies using lavender.

Ingredients
    1 lime, rind of
    2 tablespoons lavender flowers, dried
    1/2 cup boiling water
    4 cups peaches, finely chopped (about 5-6 medium peaches)
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    6 cups granulated sugar
    1 (6 ounce) envelope liquid fruit pectin
    Directions
    1Place lavender flowers in a small bowl. Pour boiling water over flowers and steep for 20 minutes. Strain and discard flowers.
    2Combine lavender liquid, peaches, lemon juice and sugar in a very large stainless steel or enamel saucepan. Bring to a full boul over high heat and boil hard for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in pectin.
    3Ladle into sterilized jars and process in a hot water bath for 5 minutes.

4. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    You talked me into it Terri. I'm gonna make some next week. Sounds yummy!

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Funny you should post this! Yesterday I collected all my lavendar and it's now drying in the kitchen. Smells so good!

I made lavender syrup and lavender sugar. These & other lavender recipes here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/soundlife/story/413711.html. This morning I sweetened my tea with the sugar. Very nice - not too floral but a it had certain je ne sais quoi. Very nice. I can't wait to make saketinis with it: lemonade, sake, and a splash of lavendar syrup over rocks.

I'm drying the lavender to make my own herbes de provence. It's so expensive at the grocery store. No reason I can't make my own for free. I use it all winter long in soups, cheese spreads, on pot roasts, in cream over turkey or chicken... delicious!!! Recipes: http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/21558/herbes-de-provence.html

6. Sparklecoon

Sparklecoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    My mum used to place a sprig or two of dried lavender into a jar of sugar. When we'd go to sweeten our tea the sugar would be infused with the scent. Very cool!

7. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
  8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I had 4 huge plants last summer. A dog tore them to shreds. [​IMG] They didn't come back this year. I need to plant more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by