Laverne, what did you say????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by seminolewind, Apr 3, 2012.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My hubby told me that Laverne, a 5 month old Polish hen? crowed. She's done it almost every morning, it sounds terrible. But she stretches her neck and crows. She is an extremely late bloomer, just got wattles.

Do some hens crow???

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    LOL! Yep some do. I have a tiny serama hen who not only crows she does the rooster dance around my hand and if I give in and pick her up she mounts my hand [​IMG]

3. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    LOL, my Laverne is a genetically poor specimen of a Polish . I don't know if she'll ever be in with the others, she's kindof "fragile" for lack of a better word. But very loveable.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a hen that crows!

4. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
  5. RaeRae2

RaeRae2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    Yes, I have a mixed breed hen that is very manly acting. She will not lay her eggs in a nest, but will lay them right on the concrete floor, or on a table top in the barn. She makes a horrible raspy crowing sound, she never cackles after she lays an egg, and she is quick to peck at me and raise her neck feathers up in fight mode. She must have a lot of testosterone or something. I think some animals (including humans!) just have different hormone levels that cause them to look, act, or behave differently.

6. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I replied on the other thread too but I will post here as well in case u don't see the other post. I think you got yourself a rooster there! 99.9% sure. I have no experience with polish but I do know that the roosters crest feathers are pointy and kind of all over the place like yours is. The hens have a much more uniformed crest like a big perfectly round afro :) He is a cutie even if he isn't perfectly marked :)

7. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Chickenaddict, I don't think even he/she knows what he/she is. This one is a doll, and wants me to be there all the time. She gets on the roof of her dog house so she's eye level with me and just tastes me all over, and chats away.. She too has a hoarse voice and crow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by