1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Law Florence AL

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by rrlgonzalez, Feb 5, 2015.

1. rrlgonzalez

rrlgonzalez New Egg

Feb 5, 2015
    Hello there!
    We are thinking about branching out to have laying hens and possibly a rooster for mating.

Does anyone know how to find out what the laws are regarding having chickens in the different areas of florence, al?

We live north of Florence, almost into Greenhill/killen but are still in "Florence".

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Most cities have a website with their ordinances. Are you within city limits? Otherwise contact city hall to get a copy. Don't ask about chickens because whoever you ask probably doesn't know the ordinances including the mayor, read them yourself.
    If you don't have close neighbors, who would know?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  3. GrayEyedGoddess

GrayEyedGoddess Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2016
    Florence, AL
    I'm from Florence, AL, but we live in the county. However, I looked into the laws about keeping chickens in the city limits and it's a NO. You say you live kind of on the cusp of city and county? Do you have city or county garbage collection? If it's picked up by county, you can keep chickens.

I'm thinking about getting together with some people and trying to get this law changed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by