Law on my side, but neighbors keep calling the police!!! Long rant

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Chicken Lil, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Chicken Lil

Chicken Lil Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    I live in a small sub division in Princeton, IL, population 5,000. Our ordinance regarding poultry is very clear. All poultry allowed, as long as they are confined to your own property. Our lot is about 1/4 acre, and we have 10 hens. Because I did not want a rooster disturbing anyone I choose to only have hens. We have a hen house and coop that are neat, kept clean, and are out of view. The back & sides of yard has 8 ft privacy fencing and the front has picket fencing with chicken wire behind it, to keep hens in, and predators out. Many of our neighbors love our hens and will walk by and point at them in my yard. I give away eggs regularly to neighbors and everything had seemed fine.

So imagine my surprise when the police show up saying that there was a complaint about the hens smelling and making too much noise! They looked around, stood right next to the hen house and did not smell a thing. All my girls were lazing about the yard, barely a cluck among them. The police felt the complaint was unwarrented and left. Now a month later they show up again, apologize for bothering me, but say there is a complaint again, and they must check it out. Again they found nothing to substantiate the complaint.

I finally heard from a friend in animal control which two neighbors were complaining, and boy am I ticked. I have had hens now for over a year. When they started laying I brought eggs to these neighbors, and said if they had any problems with my hens to please come and discuss it with me. They have continued to be friendly and say hello, I have brought them eggs several times, one has even brought thier grandchildren over to feed the hens! But than, they go behind my back and complain about my hens to the police, hoping to remain anonymous! What a bunch of two faced jerks! [​IMG]

What even ticks me off more is that they both have dogs that bark A LOT, at all hours. Plus one neighbor has two young children that run around screeching eveytime they can! I don't complain because I understand that dogs and children make noise.

We also have a loud train that goes by several times a day, as well as kids with vamped up trucks that roar around the neighborhood. My girls are sooo much quieter than all of this, but these two neighbors have the nerve to complain! After taking eggs and acting oh so okay with it [​IMG]

If they complain again I am going to my lawyer to see if I can file harrasment charges for unfounded complaints!

What would you folks do???

2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I would stop giving them eggs is what I'd do! [​IMG]

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Brutes.

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I hear you! Right after I gave my neighbor eggs, THEN the animal control came over! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] And yes, I'd call them two faced jerks, and thats just being nice! My daughter said to tell you this for those idiots, "Sweetie, if you're going to be two-faced, at least make one of them pretty"! [​IMG] I thought it was kind of cute, inspite of us being mad, right?

5. Chicken Lil

Nov 14, 2008
    b.hromada :

I hear you! Right after I gave my neighbor eggs, THEN the animal control came over! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] And yes, I'd call them two faced jerks, and thats just being nice! My daughter said to tell you this for those idiots, "Sweetie, if you're going to be two-faced, at least make one of them pretty"! [​IMG] I thought it was kind of cute, inspite of us being mad, right?

[​IMG]

I love your daughters sense of humour!!!​

6. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    b.hromada :

"Sweetie, if you're going to be two-faced, at least make one of them pretty"!

[​IMG]

7. Chickens in Elmwood

Chickens in Elmwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Elmwood, WV
    Call in a complaint about their barking dogs. J/K But seriously, NO MORE FREE EGGS! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I forgot to say, I would go over there and ask them what the issue is with my hens. I don't go for all this behind the back stuff. Adults should act like adults. I'd go right up to the door and knock and say, "I heard you are having a problem with my chickens. How can we fix this?"

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I'd doctor up one more special set of eggs, just for them, with laxative and smile really sweet and tell them to have a nice day... Good for the gander, good for the goose.

9. neferset

neferset Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Quote:Nononononononono...They'd claim the girls are spreading sickness and try to have them removed as a health hazard.

10. Chicken Lil

Nov 14, 2008
    Quote:Nononononononono...They'd claim the girls are spreading sickness and try to have them removed as a health hazard.

I've got to agree with you there. No way I want anyone to say my girls aren't healthy,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by