Law

padave

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 28, 2011
Hello All,

My name is Dave and I live in New Freedom PA. I'm new to posting here but not a new member. I'm sure this topic is a dead horse but here goes anyway.
I live in a small town with a low population last year I went to the town office to ask if I can keep a few backyard hens, I was told "NO" I ask to see that written in the law, then the " man" told me that I could but I'd just be asking for trouble and i needed a permit of some sort. So I looked up the law and it stated that the chickens could not be free range and the coop had to be 10' away from neighboring properties ". Witch is very doable ". I then ask all 4 of my neighbors if they mind me having chix, I got the thumbs up. So I waited till this winter to build the small coop for 3-4 hens only I went to the township to get the permit from the "SS" and then he told me I couldn't because all of a sudden the law changed to where you need at least 1 acre of land. How ironic I thought out loud to the "man"

My question is; is this a lost cause. What else could be done here with out being a big hassle and would it help if I put all his business info (web mail, phone # etc) on this site, or what I'm at a loss.

Thanks for letting me bend your ear I just had to get that off my chest.

dave

welcome-byc.gif
from southern Ohio!!!

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan

Sorry to hear that you have had such problems - what a bunch of troglodytes! You might check the chicken laws thread and see if anyone there has an answer for you. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom