Law

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by padave, Feb 1, 2012.

1. padave

padave New Egg

Aug 28, 2011
    Hello All,

My name is Dave and I live in New Freedom PA. I'm new to posting here but not a new member. I'm sure this topic is a dead horse but here goes anyway.
    I live in a small town with a low population last year I went to the town office to ask if I can keep a few backyard hens, I was told "NO" I ask to see that written in the law, then the " man" told me that I could but I'd just be asking for trouble and i needed a permit of some sort. So I looked up the law and it stated that the chickens could not be free range and the coop had to be 10' away from neighboring properties ". Witch is very doable ". I then ask all 4 of my neighbors if they mind me having chix, I got the thumbs up. So I waited till this winter to build the small coop for 3-4 hens only I went to the township to get the permit from the "SS" and then he told me I couldn't because all of a sudden the law changed to where you need at least 1 acre of land. How ironic I thought out loud to the "man"

My question is; is this a lost cause. What else could be done here with out being a big hassle and would it help if I put all his business info (web mail, phone # etc) on this site, or what I'm at a loss.

Thanks for letting me bend your ear I just had to get that off my chest.

dave

2. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

Certainly not a lost cause. I would look in the Local Chicken Law section about ways to best approach this. Good luck!!

3. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from southern Ohio!!!

4. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    I wouldn't give up!! Glad you joined us!!

[​IMG]

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan

Sorry to hear that you have had such problems - what a bunch of troglodytes! You might check the chicken laws thread and see if anyone there has an answer for you. Good luck.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. Contact your zoning officials and find out what ordnances and restrictions there are.

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I wouldn't give up either! [​IMG] [​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! So glad you joined us!

9. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
  10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by