lawn destruction by beloved chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kimandkaren, Oct 15, 2007.

1. kimandkaren

kimandkaren New Egg

Oct 15, 2007
    Does anyone know of a drought resistant ground cover we could replant after chicken destruction? Or a crop that thrives with chicken "cultivation"?

2. NS2A

NS2A Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2007
    Minnesota
    Not sure where you live, but the best, easiest drought resistant cover to grow is weeds. [​IMG] Besides, your animals will love them. [​IMG]

I'm only half joking, but I've just given up and letting my chickens and goats (happily) enjoy!

If you "really" wanted something, that will depend on so many things (soil, rain, heat etc.)

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    The only thing I know to plant that will resist chicken destruction is a fence around the chickens or the area you want to protect.

[​IMG]

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Do you mean out in your yard or in a chicken run? In a chicken run, sand. [​IMG] Out in your yard, I'm not sure. What gardening zone are you in?

5. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I don't know of any plant that can survive chicken "cultivation". Chickens make wonderful rototillers, but not very good gardeners!
    After the destruction, make sure the dirt is fluffly, then I've had the best luck with a conservation grass mix that is heavy in clover. It grows in fast, and the chickies will appreciate it next time you let them loose on that patch of land!
    NOTE: If you don't want to lose it, PROTECT IT WITH A FENCE! Even a single chicken can destroy a planting in lightning fast time. If the plant is rare or valuable, it will be gone even more quickly!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  6. C-Lee

C-Lee New Egg

Sep 27, 2013
    I can recommend Marrubium vulgare (horehound) its in the mint family, smells like Viks vapor rub, but stays low. They don't eat it, and it fills in relatively quickly when they dig nests. but I am not sure where you could get it except to transplant from a bad lawn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by