Lawn fertilizer and backyard chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by idiganthro, Nov 21, 2009.

1. idiganthro

idiganthro Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2009
    Mechanicsville, MD
    My husband is planning to aerate and fertilize our yard. This is our first year with chickens. We plan to fence off an area that we will NOT fertilize for them to be able to roam in. About how long after fertilizing will we have to keep them in the pen? We usually watch the weather and fertilize before a good rain, and also run the sprinkler lots to soak it in. I am sure fertilizer is not healthy for chickens, so how long before they can safely roam the whole yard again?

2. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    What kind of fertilizer are you using?

3. SandyK

SandyK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    Yep, same thing here. Mine just went on lock down tonight after fertilizing the yard for the winter. They are lucky we have a 25x50 ft run for them. They are so spoiled though, they stand and pace back and forth when they see me outside. I guess the grass is always greener you know where!! I would say for quite a while for mine because it had weed control in the fertilizer also.

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

My chickens fertilize the yard as they roam [​IMG]

5. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Our flock does the fertilizing, too.

6. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Same here!!!! They'll be limited in the spring/summer next year- so we don't have to dodge their fertilizations- and to keep the garden safe- but for now, they're all the fertilizer we need!

Quote:

7. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    This is a really good time to switch to an organic fertilizer. If you had a pellet of non-organic fertilizer, and a chicken ate it, I can't imagine that it would be very good for them (heavy in salts, other nasty chems). Corn Gluten Meal is a great organic fertilizer and also helps keep weeds from germinating. And you won't have to worry if they ingest some. Weed control in your fertilizer is not a very good way to go, and is very hard on any surrounding trees. It is much better to use a weed spray, on a warm dry day, when the excess will volatilize. Then hose the lawn off before the chickens get on it. But honestly, I can't imagine using non-organics with chickens roaming around. Sorry if I'm on a bit of a soapbox because I am a landscaper with a strong background of organic/IPM methods.

8. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    With chickens? Aerate, yes. Fertilize, no. That's what chickens are for. They are especially good at weeding! They love broadleaf weeds. Give them a year or two in a chicken tractor that you can move all over your yard, and you'll see some great results![​IMG]

9. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Quote:Yes my hens also fertilize the yard, now if I could only keep my 6 mo. old Catahoula pup from eating it so it could get in dirt and do some good.[​IMG]

catdaddy

10. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Quote:I've had my chickens free range since this past spring, next spring/summer will be one full year. I'm looking forward to seeing the results of their efforts. I already noticed a huge reduction in bugs. No Japanese beetles this year since the chickens ate the grubs! Much fewer ticks on my dogs and cats too. I haven't experienced the results of the fertilization that the chickens do, and I did notice some reduction in weeds, but I'm hoping to really see a difference next year. I have a big property with lots of landscaping and beds to weed and its a lot of work without hired help! I hope the chickens can help with the weeding!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by