Lawn mower cuttings

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by K&H Chicken Farm, Feb 26, 2008.

1. K&H Chicken Farm

K&H Chicken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Redding CA
    Are fresh lawn mower cuttings OK if your yard is not treated with anything?

2. sunnysidecluckers

sunnysidecluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, they are! My hens know exactly what's going on when my DH pulls out the lawn mower. They get so excited and noisy and can't wait till they get the fresh lawn clippings!!!

3. K&H Chicken Farm

Feb 17, 2008
    Redding CA
    Great! WE have almost a acre pluse here of lawn I have to cut so there will be no shortage!
    Shelly

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Just make sure the cut strands are small enough so that they can be digested. Long strands can lead to an impacted crop.

5. K&H Chicken Farm

Feb 17, 2008
    Redding CA
    [​IMG] That means I have to mow more often![​IMG]

6. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* What about endophyte-enhanced grass breeds-- isn't that bad for ckns, too??

7. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Dont know if I would want to feed the grass clippings to mine. I have two large dogs, and well lets say somethings get sucked into the bagger that I would hate to give to the poor birdies.

8. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    That means I have to mow more often!

Change your blade to a "mulching" blade it'll cut it up nice and small for you. long as you dont wait more than a couple of weeks between mowings​

9. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I cut out the middle man. I let the chickens and goats munch the lawn and only cut it if they get severely behind.

10. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Make sure you don't mow over any dog poop!! That makes backyard cuttings totally out of the question for me and I have to look ahead of me mowing the fron yard to make sure no one has wandered through and left me presents there, if not, some of that I scoop up and feed to my chickens and they love it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by