Lawn sprinklers and movable tractors

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ellandeeranch, Dec 30, 2012.

1. ellandeeranch

ellandeeranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    So I built a "scraptor" ark with stuff I had laying/lying around the place. I live in the desert and my coop/runs are on dirt. I'd like to use the scraptor to give some of the chickens a week at a time on the grass we have.

Do lawn sprinklers cause the chickens much grief? When it rains here (not much), the chickens do get out of the rain mostly. But sprinklers can get up under the shelter in the ark.

What do you folks from wet climates do about water on your chickens when using tractors for the greens?

Not much a problem now, because we don't water much if at all in the desert winter (high desert north of Los Angeles). We get several little "friendly snow" events a year. The snow comes in, looks beautiful, leaves in a day or two, and the local hills are stunning. Any rain comes December to March.

Richard in Neenach

2. ellandeeranch

ellandeeranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    No tips? I was thinking of making an inside little wall to stop any sprinkler water from going into the enclosed side of the scraptor. Hoping to paint it tomorrow if the temps get up into the 40's.

3. texas75563

texas75563 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    Linden, Texas
    I use motion sprinklers to keep my chickens out of places. It is very effective. Mine free range. That's why I need the motion sprinklers, keep them out of the garden and off the front porch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by