1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Laws for selling chickens in Texas?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by Denece&Lacey, Sep 3, 2008.

  1. Denece&Lacey

    Denece&Lacey Songster

    Mar 17, 2008
    Alvord, Tx
    Does anybody know what you need to sell chickens legally in Texas?[​IMG]
  2. pimpdaddywrinkles

    pimpdaddywrinkles In the Brooder

    Sep 11, 2008
    Nothing about selling, but I know that in some part of Texas that there are (Now get this) Chicken specific ,, Um sex laws.

    Not trying to be cute, but if there are laws that specific about chickens I would make sure I had the right info from the city or town I was going to sell in.

    this is the long and the short of the law:
    "In Texas it's legal for a chicken to have sex with you, but it's illegal to reciprocate. "

    from this site:

    I found it a few months ago when I started looking into chicken keeping. It came up in a search for ("Red sexlink" chickens.)

    again I'm not trying to be cute I just thought is was a strange law and if TX is going to be writing that law I'll bet they have more about dealing with chickens.

    good luck!
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  3. Bump....I would like to know the answer to this too. I tried contacting my county agent, but he said...."I don't know".....and sent me to someone else, who likewise didn't know...I thought that was their job. [​IMG]
  4. Denece&Lacey

    Denece&Lacey Songster

    Mar 17, 2008
    Alvord, Tx
    [​IMG]I just dont know what papers you have to have. I know you have to have your stock tested for Pullium/typhoid. Other than that what do you need? Someone told me there was a card of something he had that let him sell at trade days and things like that.
  5. the1much

    the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

    i asked about selling processed chickens,, and got a letter back, maybe you can contact the same guy,,, lemme find the email he sent me.
  6. the1much

    the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

    this is what he sent me about the processing,, try emailing him and ask him,, but warning, it takes him about a week to get back to ya [​IMG]
    Here is the information that you will need for processing:

    What grants of exemption are available through Meat Safety Assurance?

    Anyone that slaughters animals or processes meat products for customers that own the animals or meat products, may opt to apply for a Grant of Custom Exemption along with or instead of a Grant of Inspection. The products produced under this grant must be marked as ‘Not For Sale’ and be returned to the customer that owned the animal exclusively for use in the household of the customer, by him or her and members of his or her household and nonpaying guests and employees.

    Anyone that raises poultry or rabbits, and slaughters 10,000 birds or rabbits (or combination thereof) per year or less may opt to apply for a Grant of Poultry Exemption instead of a Grant of Inspection. These products may be sold on the farm or through locations other than the farm. Products produced under this grant and intended to be sold through locations other than the farm where the livestock is produced, must be clearly marked with the producer’s name, address, and the term ‘Exempted P.L. 90-492’.

    This information was taken directly from the Texas Department of State Health Services website dealing with meat inspection. The website address is http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/msa/meatinsp.shtm.

    If you have any other questions, or if we can be of help, please contact us.

    Michael A. Davis, Ph.D.

    Assistant Professor & Extension Specialist

    Texas AgriLife Extension Service

    Poultry Science Department

    Texas A&M University

    107B Kleberg

    2472 TAMU

    College Station, TX 77843-2472

    (979) 845-4319

    (979) 845-1921 (FAX)

    email: [email protected]

    web: http://posc.tamu.edu
    1 person likes this.
  7. Soooooooooooooooo, if I am understanding this correctly. A person could sell a processed chicken, as long as they do under 10,000 a year(no problem there.. [​IMG] ), they have filed for the exemption, and birds are properly labeled....is that right?

    I was thinking I would rather sell them the live bird, then allow them to process their own darn chickens....lol....using the slaughter equipment on my place. That way at the time of slaughter they wouldn't be my animals. My DH and I would help them, that way it would go quickly.

    So wonder if there is any permits needed for just selling the live birds, and what about baby chicks and eggs either for hatching or eating... [​IMG]

    Thanks the1much, for posting the email.....along with his email addy. I'll see if he can help me.
  8. the1much

    the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

    yup you can sell 10,000 processed birds without a certificate of inspection.

    edit: ta say i didnt have manners,,,,,, your welcomes [​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  9. Poohbear

    Poohbear On a Time Out

    Nov 12, 2008
    You MUST be Pullurium/Typhoid tested first before selling chickens AWAY from your home. Selling from home does not require anything be tested. To sell at flea markets or poutry shows you must be tested and approved with a license to sell. Do your testing first. After that is cleared, then you apply to the state for a license to sell live fowl. If your flock is under 100 fowl it cost 25.00. If it is over 100 up to 400, then you have to pay 500.00. This is per year. Pullorium testing cost nothing. Typoid testing is 25.00. Info in the1much post should get you pointed in the right direction.
    1 person likes this.
  10. kbbeale

    kbbeale Songster

    Oct 26, 2007
    Adkins, Tx
    Quote:The Pullorium/Typoid testing is FREE. You pay the $25 to receive the certificate to sell eggs, birds, etc out of the state of Texas. This is according to Dickey Richardson, who does the testing on fowl here in Texas. As long as your tested for the above, you're fine. Thats all the state of Texas requires.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: