1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Laws for transporting chickens to home in another state?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Frogtown, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Frogtown

Frogtown Back 40 Farm

Aug 16, 2007
    South Carolina
    Boyfriend and I are thinking of moving to another state for his job. What laws are there that I need to know about for transporting my flock?

2. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Are you NPIP Certified?

I am and i got in the mail a card to carry with me when we travel with birds saying i dont need a licence to transposrt live poultry. or something like that.

3. Frogtown

Frogtown Back 40 Farm

Aug 16, 2007
    South Carolina
    No, I am not at the moment but was thinking about doing so later this year. Would all the birds I take with me have to be tested?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  4. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    I know in Ma yes, but all states are different with there laws on poultry,
    but for moving, if you are moving them yourself like your car ect, there should be no problem at all.

if you are having them shipped then usps law by fed is that all live poultry has to be npip certified.

But like i said if you are moveing them yourself in a reg ,car ,van, then there should be no promblem at all.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:As said, every state is different--you need to check the laws on bringing poultry into the state you plan to live and make sure they meet whatever requirements.

6. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

I was reading on Missouri Laws, and to move birds across state lines you are supposed to be NPIP (avian influenza and pullorum free) or have a statement from a state official/vet stating your birds are disease free (or something like that). Or apply for some type of permit where you swear that your birds are healthy. [​IMG]

7. PeepsInc

PeepsInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    NY Tri State region
    I live in the Tri State region, & have been to swaps in 4 states. I dont think you'll have a problem. [​IMG]

8. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Put em in a crate and keep em there until you get to your new home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by