Laxatives and not great poop for my hen

prncs13

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 22, 2008
Hi,

I have a New Hampshire Red that had this problem in early spring. Her butt feels kind of heavy and fluidy, no mass. I took her to the vet and the vet felt that with all the new grass she was slow in digesting and it was just backing up some. she didn't have any bacteria in her poop but I treated her with Tetracycline, yogurt, aloe vera juice, apple cider vinegar and she got back to her old self, good poop and spunky. Now it seems to be happening again, not as fluidy because I have been watching her but only a little poop, kind of runny, her tail is up color is good, eats snacks and forages but she just doesn't seem herself. I started back on all of the above except the Tetra (added some molasses). I hate to medicate my hens. Should I try the other stuff for a week and see and then try antibiotics again or does anyone have any other things I can give her? I think if she could have a nice healthy poop it might make her feel better. She is the low man on the totem pole and she prefers to stay with me than with the rest of the coop so I try to keep her in the yard with me when I am outside. We are getting 4 baby chicks for our mother hen (Sugar) this week so I am hoping maybe Butterfly will get excited about that.

Any ideas? The vet said she seems really healthy, maybe a little underweight but when I was feeding her the supplements she bulked up a bit. When I had taken her to the vet the last time this had been going on for a week or so already so I think she had slowed down her eating by that point.

Is there a laxative I can give her?

Thanks.

Michelle

I give that to the flock pretty regularly and I am making sure she gets some in the mash I mix up for her everyday. Hopefully a couple more days of these supplements will help, if not it is back on the Tetra.
M

what cna I use as a laxative for my Jersey Giant hen? SHe is not pooping but she is trying to and I was putting them to bed and i heard a gasp kind of sound. I lookvaround and she is trying to poop but nothing is coming out but a few little drops of a yellowish liquid. What can I do??!!

what cna I use as a laxative for my Jersey Giant hen? SHe is not pooping but she is trying to and I was putting them to bed and i heard a gasp kind of sound. I lookvaround and she is trying to poop but nothing is coming out but a few little drops of a yellowish liquid. What can I do??!!
Can you post a photos of your hen and the poop?

Is she trying to poop or is she having trouble with an egg?
When was the last time she laid an egg?

If possible bring her in to a calm, quiet place so you can keep watch on her. Give her a little time and try to determine if she has an egg that is stuck or if she is constipated. The yellowish liquid, I suspect may be egg yolk.
She may benefit from being placed in a steamed up bathroom, if she is very alert and seems o.k. (not lethargic) you can give her a soak in a warm epsom salts bath. Gently insert a lubricated finger inside her vent about 1" and feel for an egg.

Do what you can to keep her hydrated and let us know how she is.

Back
Top Bottom