Lay box obsessed Rhode Island Red

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MohawkJEn, Oct 18, 2014.

1. MohawkJEn

MohawkJEn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2013
    We have this 2 year old RIR that just loves to switch lay boxes. We even have a section of the coop isolated for introducing new chickens that has a box for them to lay in, and she will jump through the door when we go in to check on them, go straight to the box and lay an egg in it. We have three set up on her side, and she will be in a different box almost everyday. It's really cute. It seems like she is obsessed with the boxes. Is this a territorial thing? Or just her being quirky?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They are such amusing creatures. I wonder if she thinks it hides her eggs from predators? I think all mine switch around which is their favorite nest... or corner of the coop.

3. MohawkJEn

MohawkJEn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2013
    It's super cute. And it seems harmless. And actually she is the friendliest one we have. She actually walks up and asks to be held. Which I think is unusual. At least none of the other chickens act this way. Had no idea that chickens could be so fun. Even with the sickness stuff and care. They really surprise me everyday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by