Lay box question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kensfarm, May 10, 2011.

1. Kensfarm

Kensfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    I am building an Ark or A-frame style chicken coop.

I have looked at so many different plans and taken bits that I liked from each one, but I have a question about the lay boxes for hens.

Here is a couple photos of what I have so far.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not super fancy, but I made it much larger than most of the designs I have seen. Still not finished, need to head back to home depot soon as next paycheck comes in [​IMG]
    It stands 6 feet tall and then length stretches 8 feet.
    I wanted to make sure plenty of head room was available to the chickens and plenty of floor space if they had to stay locked in for a while.
    I plan on letting them free range the back yard everyday, but if bad weather or we need to leave the house I wanted something big enough and secure enough for them to be comfortable.

Anyhow, I plan on making 2 lay boxes at each end of the upper level of the coop, that can be accessable via a hinged door. So the top level will be completely enclosed.
    I don't know if I should actually make a "box" or "cube" with plywood that the hen can get into and be completely enclosed. Like this:
    [​IMG]
    or
    will a 2x4 frame that the hen can sit in and lay an egg be enough. Like this:
    [​IMG]
    I would rather to the 2x4 frame, seems much easier for me. I want to make sure that the hens would like it though.
    Throw all your opinions at me please, I take constructive criticism well. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  2. Captain Carrot

Captain Carrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Austria
    either would work fine. Chickens like to lay somewhere quite and dark (not all of them). I like the look of the last photo though. Fill it with straw make a depression with your hand in the straw, and add a couple of clay/plastic/real eggs or golf balls inside and the hens will see it as a fantastic place to lay...it has to be right? someone already laid in there.

3. Kensfarm

Kensfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Sounds good, is straw best? or can wood shavings be used?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by