Lay Feed & Roos

It is probably not the best thing for him but what else can you do if he is in with the hens? Mine free range so I know he is not filling up on layer feed alone. Funny though, if he finds a nice juicy bug he will usually give it to one of his girls. So sweet!
Gayle

Sounds like a sweet roo
smile.png
Mine likes to take his treats and just manically run all around... well... like a chicken with his head cut off!
lol.png

Oh yeah, really sweet...?! Like here:, I got something for you, it is really special?!. and then he jumps on her!!! It's ok if you have enough hens, but if he picks on just one or there aren't enough hens, you won't get as many eggs; and /or the one he picks on starts getting bloody on the neck and hiding out. and that's not good either.

My roos have enough hens to keep them happy and none of the girls are bloddy or hiding out. I have never seen one of my roos give his girl a treat and then jump her bones either. You must have an over sexed roo running your coop. Sounds like you need to get him some more lady friends
lau.gif

Gayle

The roos don't need the extra calcium in the layer feed, but if they are together with the hens, don't worry about it.

If you have roosters separate from hens, feed them a game cock feed. There are several different types.

I offer mine a separate mix (non-layer) and usually they prefer that and leave the layer alone...unfortunately so do the girls... so I mix a bit of cooked (human) oatmeal in with the layer and also some wheatgermoil (very healthy that) and offer daily yogurt (live culture not desert pasteurized kind) as it is also a good source of calcium... plus free choice oyster shell...this all to make up for them eating from the boys feed... it is funny how the boys will avoid the layer ...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom