Lay those eggs

meowoui

Songster
8 Years
Aug 11, 2013
Beaverton
Scarlett the RIR and Isabella the Black Star decided it was time to start laying no matter what the temperature was outside,
that makes for four hens laying except one is on strike, our other black star must have been really young when we got her her comb is still real small she sure looked like she could have been three months all ready when we got her, we got them in August. I guess she is just a slow starter but that is OK we won't fault her for that.

We the temp. to dipped lower than we are use to having here in Beaverton we fixed up the coop more for warmth, at one point I had to lightly coat their combs with Vaseline one of the hens comb look like it was turning black, my thinking is she had dirt cling to her.

The girls sure heated being shut in but with temps. not rising above freezing and staying in the twenties I was not going to let them out. Now they are happy out running around in our yard.

Congratulations! My girls are 'resting' for the winter - or that's what they tell me! I have 3 that look like they fought and lost with the chicken plucker
sad.png
Still, they are healthy, grumpy 'cos it's cold. Also they are a bit bent out of shape with the addition of 2 new girls.....

OH my, to bad your hens still look frightful. I bet when their feathers come back they will be a lot fuller then before
big_smile.png

We wanted another chicken in October but the place we get the hens from said no done for this year, when it is time to buy again

we will get probably get three more if so will need to build two more nesting boxes which they sleep in as well.

Many times I have tried to complete this post and keep getting a message about a problem with pg.

A friend was leaving for Florida and had 2 extra Maran chicks and kindly gave them to us! I think they are about 12 weeks now and starting a minor molt. Their tail feathers are just starting to come in. I really must try and get some pix. Mavis is going to be very pretty - she's a blue splash - not sure about her sisters' colorings......

Back
Top Bottom