layed back roo for backyard flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by smarsh2, Jan 20, 2010.

1. smarsh2

smarsh2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    I started out with 5 hens and 2 roos (all EEs). The most aggressive roo, a beautiful red, I gave away. The other nearly killed a hen due to her refusals. I ate him. I have now raised another roo (mixed sex link), and at 4 months is working on getting eaten too. The pullets are afraid to come off the roost. Is their a standard size breed that can get the job done on a "may I" as opposed to a "here I come"?

scott

2. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    I have a Blue Plymouth Rock roo and a Delaware roo and both are good to the ladies, and us

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Most roos are "here I come"... "brace yerself Effie".

I have a Golden Cuckoo Marans that is almost too polite, but he gets the job done.

4. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    it may just be the roos, I think it is also hard when they dont have a good example, I have a roo Alabaster who helped show the ropes to many of my other roos he is very tolerent of other boys and they seem to pick up on how gentle he is with the ladies. Maybe get a roo that you already know is a gentleman?

5. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    My Leghorn Roo and Cochin Roo are both gentlemen!!

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Also wanted to mention that I had a white crested Blue Polish that was a total animal. He got rehomed

And I also had a Giant Partridge Cochin. HE SMASHED most of the hens... and he got rehomed too.

My Blue Wheaten Ameraucana is a gentleman, but he is only 7 months old.

7. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    If you were near us (NW Arkansas), I'd let you borrow Brewster to educate any upcoming young roos. He's a huge White Leghon and is wonderful [​IMG]

8. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    From all the chicken breed I have worked with over the years. Rock take it when it comes to roosters being nice. Now this also makes a differenace where that rooster came from. Certain lines are known for meaner roosters. In this case stay away from MM hatchery. Aslo depending on how you treat a roo will have some to do with it. If you obver mother them I see more of a trend toward human aggressing as they try to assert themselves with the flock.

But as far as breeds to look into I would say Rock. Sussex and Orps.

9. stephhassler

stephhassler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Eastern Iowa
    My barred rock is the nicest I have had yet - granted he is still a cockerel at 8 months. But so far, no signs of aggression towards me or the ladies.

10. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    seems like there are so many unwanted roos, can you find an adult that is known to be gentle. I live in the city and us city folk are always looking for takers for our unwanted surprise roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by