1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Layena® SunFresh® Recipe

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by archerobx, Oct 14, 2009.

1. archerobx

archerobx Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Pa
  2. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    No, not additives just vitamins and minerals that are needed for your chickens health.

I personally will ONLY use Purina Layena, my chooks love it and it contains NO animal by-products. I have used Dumor once and my chooks barely touched it, not to mention it made their poo smellier. [​IMG] each to their own, but that is my experience. [​IMG]

3. archerobx

archerobx Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Pa
    Thanks.
    Less sticky poo is always good.

I may stick with this for couple months just to see if I notice any changes in smell, eggs, nicer feathers. Its like 2 bucks more a bag.

thanks again

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  4. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    I have both Dumor and Purina Layena right now... after reading this I'll conduct a little test and see how my chickens like both.

5. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Ol'FashionHen :

No, not additives just vitamins and minerals that are needed for your chickens health.

I personally will ONLY use Purina Layena, my chooks love it and it contains NO animal by-products. I have used Dumor once and my chooks barely touched it, not to mention it made their poo smellier. [​IMG] each to their own, but that is my experience. [​IMG]

Whats wrong with animal by-products?​

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Layena is a good quality product, but I do not use it because it has no animal protein. (that and it's expensive anyway). The protein in the feeds I use is porcine.
    My original girls were raised on Start & Grow from Purina and then had Layena and Southern States, also a vegetarian feed, but since then, I use other good quality feeds that include animal protein in the chick starter and the layer/breeder feeds. I even supplement my breeding flocks with fish like salmon and mackerel.

7. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    We are using Evergreen Extra Egg 16 after previously reading nothing but good on this site. So far, we are really happy. Price is good, healthy birds and great egg production. I am going to look into that type of protein thing...curious now.

8. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are raised on Flock Raiser, which is essentially Layena with the Lay part [​IMG]. They don't like to eat any layer feed, I've tried a few so I choose to stick with the Flock Raiser.. BUT like Speckledhen said, it has NO animal proteins which I find a problem since chickens LIKE to eat animals, so now I choose to supplement with whatever animal proteins I can find or aquire, mostly scraps from the house, bugs etc.

I like that it's considered a good quality feed, and being new to chickens I don't want to take any chances with inferior feed products.

I used to use the Dumor chick starter/grower and liked it well enough. I personally think that it SMELLS yummy compared to the other feeds, but it's difficult to acquire near my home, and the chooks like the Purina better. Now I use a brand of Turkey starter for all my babies so I have no reason to head out after the Dumor brand anymore.

I subscribed to the Poultry Press for the monthly coupon of $5 off two bags of Purina feed.. it helps offset the extra cost of the feed.

9. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    Quote:Whats wrong with animal by-products?

Just sceptical as to if the animal used may have had a disease etc.

10. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Which brands have animal protein?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by