layena vs dumor

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by iPeanut1990, Aug 17, 2014.

1. iPeanut1990

iPeanut1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I've been thinking about switching my girls to Layena once they are on layer pellets. They're only 12 weeks old right now so I still have a ways to go before they get to layer pellets and I have a whole bag of Dumor to get through. I've increasingly noticed how stinky their coop and run is no matter how much I clean it. I change the shavings in the roost and clean the coop and run once a week. At first I thought the smell was to be expected but as I've been reading reviews on the Layena vs Dumor feed (which they currently get) I've noticed people have stated that their chicken's poop is much less smellier on Layena than Dumor.

I'm wanting to make the change because Layena is sold in a store much closer to my house while the Tractor Supply I buy their Dumor feed at is about 20+ minutes away both ways depending on traffic. Is Layena really worth switching to? I have concerns about feeding them a vegetarian feed although as I understand it Dumor is also made by Purina. Does Layena really make a difference in the smell?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  2. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

I can not help with your vs. question, but I do know, if smell is an issue for you, that fermented feed of most any make, smells better than dry food. You may wish to look into this, there are other advantages to FF as well. Just something to 'chew' on perhaps.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I feed Flock Raiser and then Layena; it works for me. When I tried cheaper feeds, I noticed the difference. I also like the gamebird feed, and use it mixed with Layena especially in late winter and spring, before the bugs and worms are out, and it's hatching time. Mary

4. iPeanut1990

iPeanut1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I guess I'll just try it. I can always switch back once I go through the Layena bag.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by