1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Layer - 16 vs 20 percent

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BawkinOnTheBench, Jan 23, 2009.

1. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    I assume the percentage they are talking about is protein? Which is better - or which conditions warrent 1 or the other?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Usually, 16% is just fine. When they are molting, I feed mine a 22% protein layer with animal protein in it and it helps tremendously.

3. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I feed a 20% protein feed because I'm giving so much "stuff" out of the kitchen or garden. This is something new for me this year as I usually switch to a 16% layer feed when they start to lay. But, I want to give the birds more low-protein foods and so far, egg production has stayed up.

Actually, it isn't that I "want" to give more low-protein food it is just that those are the sorts of things that are usually left over or surplus from the kitchen and garden.

I think I'm up to about 30% of their diet during this cold weather with food other than commercial feed. It is difficult to know for sure since volume and water content varies with this stuff.

What I make sure of is that each hen is eating 1/4 pound on average of commercial feed each day. Since I carry the feeder out of the coop before refilling, all this requires is that I set it on the scale beside the feed and then refill. I can adjust the amount of what I carry out of the kitchen for them easily that way.

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by