Layer behaviour

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crooked stripe, Aug 20, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I have 3 problems to solve and am looking for you folks to suggest some solutions.
    I have 5 buff orps and 2 black australorps. They are 27 weeks old. 1 buff orp stays in the nest box almost all day. I keep shoving her our and she go's right back in. What is a good fix?
    1 hen lays an egg in the run every other day. I can't seem to find out which one and when I do how do I get her laying in the nest box?
    And last, I have been getting 5 eggs a day till the last 2 weeks. Now I get 2-3 a day. Hasn't been hot lately and they are eating and drinking well. No molting that I can tell and their eyes are bright and shinny.
    Any thoughts on these problems? If so all suggestions would be appreciated. John

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Quote:Good luck!

3. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I keep a good eye on their well being and haven't noticed lice. I never thought about worms and wouldn't know what to look for. I will catch the laying in the run hen, just a matter of time. I was just looking for a fix. Thank you John

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    You're welcome. I routinely treat the girls for worms just to be on the safe side... I don't have time to be running around looking at their poop - well, I guess I would if I wasn't on the computer... [​IMG] - but I wouldn't be able to tell whose it was anyway. Just as easy to treat them all at once in their water.

Good luck!

5. henmommy

henmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Hi John, Can you please tell me when your Buff's started laying? thanks!

6. granmahen

granmahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Bakersfield, CA
    My hens were laying on the floor so I did three things suggested here. 1. make it really comfy with pine shavings and straw. 2. give them some privacy with a curtain (the other hens peek around the curtain when someone is laying as if to see how she's doing) and
    3. put a fake egg in to remind them where they are supposed to deposit their eggs. Hope it helps. I actually have to stick the fake egg in now and then as a refresher course [​IMG]

7. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    My buffs started laying at 20 weeks and my 2 black australorps started about 22 weeks. I had placed golf balls in the nest boxes before they started laying. Now there is almost always a fresh egg in the nest boxes. I must have raised an exhibitionist in the bunch. John

eddited to say sometime there is 2 hens laying in the same nest box and the rest of the boxes are empty.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by