Layer/Broiler feed for chicks??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ThatChick, Mar 14, 2012.

1. ThatChick

ThatChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    New Jersey
    I bought my first chicks ever this past Saturday at the local Agway and also purchased a bag of Medicated Grower/Starter. Unfortunately the boy who fetched my order and put it in the trunk of my car picked up a bag of Layer/Broiler feed and that's what I've been giving them. In my excitement I didn't even notice it was the wrong stuff until Monday evening. Just wondering if there is any harm that can come come from this? There isn't any nutritional info on the bag (which is kind of odd in my opinion) it just says Southern States - Quality Feeds - Layers and Broilers, so I can't really determine what the protein content is or how much of anything else is in it. They're eating it and doing great actually, I'm just wondering if I'll come into any problems down the road because of this. I've been meaning to get back down to the Agway and get the proper feed, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi,

if the calcium is at the right level for layers, then yes, it can harm chicks. What's confusing though is that the bag is 'layer/broiler'. Broilers don't need the extra calcium and it could harm them too, so perhaps it's just a basic all-purpose chicken feed. Can you call the store to find out what's in it?

If they can't help, I would err on the safe side and switch to chick starter or something similar right away. The feed you have may well be safe calcium-wise but would probably have too low protein for growing chicks anyhow.

If the feed store are completely sure that it doesn't have layer calcium levels, perhaps you could continue to feed it but add a protein supplement. (Mealworms, meat, cat food, etc.)

FYI too much calcium to chicks can injure the kidneys. It can also lead to later shell problems when they do go on to lay. It doesn't always do these things, but can.

One more thing, keep an eye out for coccidiosis if the birds aren't on medicated feed. (Having said that, many many birds get coccidiosis even when they are on medicated feed, if conditions are right for the soil-bug to get out of hand.) I don't feed medicated feed and my chicks are fine but I do take steps to expose them gradually to the parasite.

Apologies if you know all that about cocci, just spelling it out in case it isn't something you've had to deal with.

best wishes,
    Erica

3. ThatChick

ThatChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    New Jersey
    I kinda figured I would be pushing my luck by keeping them on it. I'll make sure I get down there and get them some starter.

Thanks!!

4. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    No problem. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by