~ LAYER CRUMBLES vs CHICKEN SCRATCH ~

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Foster Reds, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Foster Reds

Foster Reds Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2011
    Freedom, California
    Just wondering if anyone else finds that there chicks perfer layer crumbles over the scratch?? Is this a normal thing ??

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I personally don't think smaller chicks care for the coarse grains of scratch when they are much less than 14 weeks or so. I also don't think the particularly need scratch either, so your just as well off keeping them fed good, nutritious feed. I do, however, like to get the young developing a taste for greens and other things like that.

3. Fred's Hens

No chick should be eating layer until they are actually laying eggs either. You didn't say how old your chickens were.

4. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    I use pellets and cracked corn.. then scratch for a treat. along with kitchen scraps.... they really like rice.

5. Foster Reds

Nov 3, 2011
    Freedom, California
    So what should we be feeding our chickens @ 10 weeks old besides there apples ,bananas,rice,lettuce,cherrios,ect... [​IMG]

6. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
  7. Cwittofur

Cwittofur Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Southern NH
    I have been feeding my chicks anything I can spare [​IMG] if I have extra greens or left over food I give it to them. I make sure it's free of salt. I've given them:

Green peppers, cracked corn, black oil sunflower seeds (BOSS), cooked rice, pumpkin, apples, lettuce heads, banana, frozen strawberries... Pretty much anything. I've been doing this since they were 8 weeks.

My rule of thumb is: normal grower food available at all times. They get treats after I get home from work that way they keep theirnutritionin check and what not. They love when I get home [​IMG]

8. Fred's Hens

Quote:10 weeks is far, far too early for layer feed. They aren't layers and aren't laying. It has a very high calcium content that isn't required by their systems yet.
    Chick starter/grower/finisher/raiser.... anything beside layer feed.

9. Foster Reds

Nov 3, 2011
    Freedom, California
    So, is it OK for me to be feeding my girls the Layers crumbles?? Confused new mommy!!

10. Fred's Hens

Quote:Nope, not yet. See post above.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by