Layer Crumbles vs. Poultry Feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 3 Chicks, Oct 11, 2012.

1. 3 Chicks

3 Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2012
    Today at the feed store, I asked for layer crumbles. They loaded it for me so I didn't realize until I got home that they gave me "poultry feed". Is there a difference?

2. Darkwings

Darkwings Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2012
    Atascadero, CA
    What brand and how does the tag read? Many companies make an "all purpose" type of feed that is normally higher in protein, but not a "layer" type feed.

3. 3 Chicks

Jul 18, 2012
    It is Layena "Poultry Feed". Should I try to exchange it?

4. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Layena is Purina Brand, it should be a layer feed.

5. DelcoChix

DelcoChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Purina Layena is their name for layer feed, it comes in pelleted form and crumbles...my girls didn't care for the pellets although, of course, they are supposed to be more economical, less waste. I caved and went back to the crumbles and they've been happy ever since. Spoiled birds. Is this what your bag looks like? If so, you're fine.
    [​IMG]

6. Darkwings

Darkwings Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2012
    Atascadero, CA
    Whoops, DelcoChix beat me to it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  7. 3 Chicks

Jul 18, 2012
    When it didn't look like the picture you sent, I checked again...it's Nutrena Poultry Feed. So sorry for the confusion!

8. Malita

Malita Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    McKinney, TX
    My girls were spilling lots of the crumbles so I went to pellets. Well after a lot of b*tching and not eating much and no eggs, we're back on crumbles. Geez...spoiled. If they wouldn't spill so much I wouldn't have changed it.

9. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    To help with the spilling, when I refill my feeder, I scoop up the spilled stuff and scatter it into the pine shavings of the coop floor. It helps them want to turn over the litter so I don't have to, and it does get eaten, especially the lower ones on pecking order.

10. vlmiller

vlmiller New Egg

Oct 9, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by