1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Layer feed and age

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mpgo4th, Jul 25, 2013.

1. mpgo4th

mpgo4th Songster 5 Years

Apr 8, 2013
    Has anyone here feed layer feed to 8-10 week old birds. I know your not supposed to but in hard up. I have a 8 week old rooster that the flock has excepted and he eats out of the flocks feeder. They just started to lay and I need to give them layer feed but he will be eating it too. I just want someone how has done it without bad things happening to put my mind at ease.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Crowing Premium Member

Well, if the only 8 week old you have is that cockerel, I'd probably not be concerned. Now, if he was a prized, rare, $200 show bird? Yeah, I'd be concerned. Otherwise, he'd just have to get along on a feed that really isn't designed for him but one that will keep him alive, anyhow. LOL

Of course, you don't HAVE to feed the flock layer. Just offer them shells on the side and you won't need Layer feed.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  3. mpgo4th

mpgo4th Songster 5 Years

Apr 8, 2013
    I tried the shells but they just dump them out and scratch them into the dirt. I thought I had it figured out by hanging the big feeder with layer high up and putting a chick feeder on the ground with grower for the cockerel. That didn't work. The cockerel went straight to the layer and the pullets are now eating grower on the ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: