Layer Feed at 3 months okay?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LuckyDuck411, Sep 20, 2010.

1. LuckyDuck411

LuckyDuck411 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My husband was so thoughtful and ran to the next town to get our ducks some more food as they were getting low. We he accidentally picked up layer feed instead of flock raiser. Is this going to be okay or do I need to run tomorrow and get the raiser? Also they have sometime called grower finisher and the bag recommends them to be on that or is that the same as flock raiser? Its a 15% protein.

Any information is much appreciated.

Here's a bonus pic of the gang I took today after they created a new mud hole!
    [​IMG]

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Layer feed is not too good for drakes due to the oyster shell in it, but you are not giving it on a permanent basis or really long term. So you are fine giving this. I've done the same once or twice with my flock.

3. LuckyDuck411

Jun 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thanks Katharinad they will be out of this bag in 3 weeks! They eat so much!

Now a second question... if layer feed is not good for drakes, when I do need to start feeding it how do I keep him from eating the girls food? Do you separate them? I just have 3 ducks and they HATE to be separated, but I could probably just put a fence divider between them and hopefully they won't make such a fuss.

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

That is easy. You give them all the flock raiser and put a bowl of crushed oyster shell on the side. The males will try it, but wont like it and give up on the shells. The girls will eat as much as they need. No need to tear the pack apart.

5. LuckyDuck411

Jun 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Oh good!

I'm so thankful for all the experts on here when it comes to issues like this!

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I agree with katharinad, for just a few weeks I don't see how there would be a problem. You may want to supplement with some lower protein, non-calcium foods, perhaps a little more than you usually do if you want to be extra sure.

I started free choice oyster shell once a week at around 12 weeks, then when my runners (all females) started breeding behaviors, I set it before them all the time. I add a little layer feed during laying season for those who don't seem to eat much of the oyster shell.

Enjoy those ducks! I LOVE to see muddy faced ducks!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by