brooder

Songster
Sep 21, 2017
Hi... A few questions. My four ducks turned twenty weeks old today. I hear that they will be laying soon and that this is the right time to switch them over to layer feed. Is this true, or should I wait for them to start laying? Is it okay for my drake to eat layer feed or is the excess calcium bad for him? If so, any tips on giving them separate feed? They're pretty much inseparable at this point. Thanks in advance, I'm sure any answer will be helpful!

I am not an expert in ducks as I have only had them 2 years but I feed all of mine the same, layer feed that my local feed store mixes up. I like it because they use oyster shell to get the calcium which in my opinion allows the hens to eat it and the drakes to leave it. I used the same rule I try to follow with my chickens and not switch them to layer till I found the first egg.... on that note I have read several people state that they feed and all flock and put out oyster shell on the side. My girls will be 2 in March and are still going strong so I feel like what I am doing is working.

I would just buy them oyster shells to keep on the side- keep feeding all flock. The hens will eat the extra when they need it and you don’t have to worry about excess calcium for the male. You could mix it and see if the drake picks around it too, but I’m not sure if you could tell if he was picking it out or not.

I am not an expert in ducks as I have only had them 2 years but I feed all of mine the same, layer feed that my local feed store mixes up. I like it because they use oyster shell to get the calcium which in my opinion allows the hens to eat it and the drakes to leave it. I used the same rule I try to follow with my chickens and not switch them to layer till I found the first egg.... on that note I have read several people state that they feed and all flock and put out oyster shell on the side. My girls will be 2 in March and are still going strong so I feel like what I am doing is working.
Thanks for the info. It's very helpful.

Layer feed is formulated for actively laying chickens so ideally it should only be given to layers. You really don't want to give layer feed until they are laying. Giving it too soon can delay their laying. Excess calcium can damage your drake's kidneys. I prefer All Flock because I have a mixed flock (chickens and ducks, males and females, different ages) and it's just easier to not worry about who is eating what feed. They get free choice oyster shell.

Back
Top Bottom