Layer feed for POL chickens

kmart60

Chookie mum
Aug 3, 2021
Central West NSW, Australia
When we picked up our first 3 chickens the seller said they had just started to lay, and she was giving them layer feed, so that's what we bought them. They actually didn't lay for us until 2 weeks after we got them, and one still isn't laying, a month later.
Also got 2 POL Isa Browns a fortnight ago, and feeding them the same, but they're not laying yet either. How long can we feed them layer feed before it's harmful? We're also providing oyster shell on the side which the 2 laying hens are consuming.

One of the problems this time of the year is some hens will not start laying very quickly, due to the shortening day length and lack of daylight. If you think your hens are not going to lay for a while, you could switch them to an all flock ration and continue to supplement calcium. Then once they are all laying you can transition back to layer feed.

One of the problems this time of the year is some hens will not start laying very quickly, due to the shortening day length and lack of daylight. If you think your hens are not going to lay for a while, you could switch them to an all flock ration and continue to supplement calcium. Then once they are all laying you can transition back to layer feed.
Or the OP can also never go back to layer feed. Food and calcium is all layers need.

When we picked up our first 3 chickens the seller said they had just started to lay, and she was giving them layer feed, so that's what we bought them. They actually didn't lay for us until 2 weeks after we got them, and one still isn't laying, a month later.
Also got 2 POL Isa Browns a fortnight ago, and feeding them the same, but they're not laying yet either. How long can we feed them layer feed before it's harmful? We're also providing oyster shell on the side which the 2 laying hens are consuming.
As long as as your Pullets are 18 weeks old and you are feeding a Layer feed with Calcium Carbonate as the sole Calcium source, without Oyster Shells or Crushed Limestone listed in the ingredient list, They'll be fine.
If the label says do not feed to male birds of any age. Avoid feeding to non-laying Pullets for more than two to three weeks, otherwise no worries in my opinion.
GC

As long as as your Pullets are 18 weeks old and you are feeding a Layer feed with Calcium Carbonate as the sole Calcium source, without Oyster Shells or Crushed Limestone listed in the ingredient list, They'll be fine.
If the label says do not feed to male birds of any age. Avoid feeding to non-laying Pullets for more than two to three weeks, otherwise no worries in my opinion.
GC
Does calcium carbonate absorb differently from limestone or oyster shell, which one is typical the hen only feed? I feed chicke feed but I wasn't aware there was a calcium source that was more harmful to nonlauimg birds.

Most of the studies show clinical signs in about one bird in seven after between 8 and 12 weeks on excess calcium. Signs will increase in severity and frequency as the dosage continues to accumulate.

Personally, I'd recommend (for the typical backyard owner, with the typical backyard flock, and the typical backyard management practices) going to an All Flock/Flock Raiser type feed and free choice oyster shell with your next bag of feed, and continuing on that feed regimen until your flock, size, or management change substantially and you have sufficient accumulated knowledge and experience to evaluate your risks, and take your chances with a different regimen.

Last edited:
Yeah, nah. I'm Down Under, just the opposite with the daylight. :D
They have gobbled up almost all of their first bag of feed, little piggies, so I'll get a bag of all flock and switch them over for now.

Does calcium carbonate absorb differently from limestone or oyster shell, which one is typical the hen only feed? I feed chicke feed but I wasn't aware there was a calcium source that was more harmful to nonlauimg birds.
Limestone is comprised, primarily, of compressed sea shells. Sea shells, like oyster shell, are comprised primarily of calcium carbonate.

Its much slower absorption than calcium citrate - which is generally recommended for humans, but not for chickens. Our digestion is radically different.

There is also calcium diphosphate, and dicalcium phosphate, both of which see more use in areas which are less advanced than the US, with less ready supplies of oyster shell and limestone. I can address those, they have certain advantages over calcium carbonate, ofset by much higher cost in the US, and difficulties in home dosing consistency - but as you are unlikely to encounter them in the ingredients list of a US feed bag, and shouldn't begin to consider using them as a suppliment until you've done a significant amount of directed personal research, best you file that away for "later" (maybe never).

Back
Top Bottom