Layer feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by shicken1icken, Dec 5, 2016.

1. shicken1icken

shicken1icken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2016
    Southern California
    I was wondering if anyone could had a simple layer feed recipe. I have chickens that will probably be laying soon. Thanks in advance.

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi. [​IMG]

The simplest recipe I know of is.... go to feed store and buy a bag. [​IMG]

I don't mean that in a nasty way. It's just that all the nutrients and micro-nutrients are in there. Without having a degree in nutrition it can be difficult to get it right.

I used to live in So Cal, will you be free ranging? What do you feed right now?

No matter what recipe you get you will need to provide oyster shell on the side rather than mixed in. They will take what they want.

I have this recipe but can't guarantee the nutritional balance is correct for a confined animal. I like to feed about 20% protein as I feel the 16% in layer is the bare minimum to support laying and doesn't give much leeway for consumption of treats or whatever they might be finding that could diminish the protein level.

http://thefrugalchicken.com/organic-homemade-chicken-feed/

Best wishes!

3. shicken1icken

shicken1icken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2016
    Southern California

Thanks so much. No I understand. I've come across a lot of recipes but I am trying to find a simplified recipe. (I suppose that may not be an option.) I have a pretty decent understanding of nutrition, what I don't know I research and ask my brother who does have a few degrees that I find useful. Lol. What I am not sure of is nutrition for chickens to ensure proper egg production. I figure worst case scenario I will buy an organic feed. I would just prefer to know what is in the food and where it came from. I am about to start growing my winter wheat, which will come in handy. My chickens are in a coop. There are too many animals that can get to them (Bobcats, mountain lions, dogs, etcetera.) My chickens are not ready to lay yet, probably not until January or later.

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

We've got those predators to.

I do lots of nutrition studying as well. I think there are a few keys...

Layer feed is usually 16% protein and 4% calcium. It's important to get the right amino acids in the protein is about my best understanding.

I am sprouting barley. 8 days and 6 to 700% return in weight with 14 % protein. Is the easiest to sprout without mold and other difficulties with the highest protein of the grains from what I understand. (Always will to learn though). I would really like to do peas.

If you do your own mix, I suggest getting stuff from the feed store instead of the grocery store. Way cheaper. And if they don't carry what you want they will usually order it with no problem. Even organic. Not all stores are created equal though and prices can vary widely even in the same city.

Was that recipe of any interest to you? Here is another link showing nutritional needs. There is one portion I disagree with and that's the one that says 5-17% protein. IMO if you go as low as 5% you're gonna get some sick birds. Still mostly useful info though.

http://ucanr.edu/sites/poultry/files/186894.pdf

I think as long as you provide not less than 16% protein (I prefer 20% for mixed age and gender flock) and offer oyster shell on the side you should be fine. The vitamins and minerals might be another contention, I know they make supplements that can be added and they do at most zoos for most animals in captivity.

When I volunteered at CALM (Ca Living Museum) in Bakersfield, I got to interact with some very young bob cats, they were amazing and vicious as heck at feeding time once they started growing. But what an experience to have a baby crawl up my pant leg. They do NOT smell good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by