1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Layer Feed??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by khable, Sep 4, 2007.

1. khable

khable Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2007
    LaGrangeville, NY
    Hi all,

I got my first egg yesterday from my 19 week old Buff Orpington. I have 5 other 19 week old BO gals who are not ready to lay yet. (combs are just now turning) So, I think they are a couple of weeks away from laying.

My question is about switching to Layer feed... Do I do it now because of the one gal? If I do, will it hurt the others??

Do I wait??

When do you add it the oyster shell?

Is my one gal going to start laying daily / evey other day now... or does that take time??

Are there any other changes I need to make as we go into this new phase??

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I would do a 50/50 mix of layer and grower. At least untill the grower feed is gone, then on to all layer. As for the oyster shell...offer it now. They know when they need it and will pick through it as needed.
    As for the laying pattern. It may take a few weeks to get the "daily" egg. Mine are almost 25 weeks old, and not one is a "regular" Just getting geared up.

3. khable

khable Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2007
    LaGrangeville, NY
    Thanks Deb,

What do you offer the Oyster Shell in???

4. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

We put ours in a small bowl, but it gets messy. Maybe our girls don't have the best table manners. I'd like to know if there is something better than a bowl!

5. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    khable - I dont know if you saw my post of "how many roosters..." from today... but anyways, take a look at my BO's comb... I thought the same thing...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by