Layer feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Studio2770, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    It seems 3 out of our 5 leghorns are laying. We are almost out of grower and about to get layer feed from TSC, I think we'll get Purena layer feed. 4 out of the 5 have red combs and wattles, the youngest is starting to get wattles. Will the youngest be fine eating the layer feed? We'll mix it in the finisher. Also, we got two shell less eggs today. I crushed up store bought egg shells for calcium but I will feed them their own egg shells when we run out of store bought. Is oyster shell better or the same?

2. Studio2770

Apr 29, 2013
    Non layers eating layer feed?
    One of our chickens is starting to mature, but the rest have red combs and wattles already and have started laying. Can she eat the layer feed and be fine?

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Technically, hens that are not laying don't need layer food with its extra calcium. I don't know what age your youngest chicken is, so I cannot speculate on any ill effects from the extra calcium. If she is a couple of weeks younger than those laying, it probably won't hurt.

Alternatively, you could continue grower and provide supplemental oyster shell in a bowl as a side dish. Only the chickens needing the calcium will eat the oyster shell. Once all are laying, then change over to layer.

Chris

4. Studio2770

Apr 29, 2013
    This is our youngest. The layer feed we got says that getting oyster shell and grit is unecessary, guess it already has it.
    [​IMG]
    She's starting to pink/redden. Wattles are coming in.

5. redstar14

redstar14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    I think oyster shell is better

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by