1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

layer feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenmaster10, Aug 10, 2014.

1. chickenmaster10

chickenmaster10 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2014
    Should I have my chickens on layer feed before or after they start laying? If I have to do it before they start laying, atwhat age?

2. aquagolda

aquagolda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    on my bag of chick food it says you have your chicks on medicated then switch when they are 18 weeks old :)

3. chickenmaster10

chickenmaster10 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2014
    Thank you auquagolda!!!!!

4. aquagolda

aquagolda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    no thank you!! I am glad to be a help to anyone!

-aqua[​IMG]

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    If your going to feed a layer feed you start feeding it when hens start to lay.

Quote: Buckeye Nutrition I know that there are a few feed manufactures that give a set age when to start feeding a layer feed but not all hens don't mature at the same age.
    It is far better to start a laying feed when you get your first egg, that way you don't feed a high calcium feed to a hen that doesn't need it yet.

1 person likes this.
  6. rc4u

rc4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    my opinion is to start layer feed couple weeks before you think they are goona lay, like when combs turn very red and start to lay over and when they start walking little different from pelvis widening, squating ect....then i think you dont get the first eggs with bad shells ect...jeff

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I don't get too caught up in timing to be honest. When it's obvious my birds are getting close to laying, they have nice red combs/faces, squatting etc. then I start making the switch to layer as I get to the end of the bag of starter I'm on. It's never at a specific or exact age. By the time they are at point of lay I'm really not worried about them getting layer feed or starter feed for a couple weeks before or after that first egg.

8. The Yakima Kid

The Yakima Kid Cirque des Poulets

I start feeding it when the first egg is laid. Too much calcium can destroy young pullet's kidneys if fed before they are in lay.

This is another reason that I prefer to have a flock all of the same breed - they come into lay at around the same time. Keeping more than one breed or strain can lead to literally weeks elapsing before some start to lay.

9. rc4u

rc4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    when they are close to laying there is no to much calcium....only in young pullets can that be a problem..and the amount in layer feed again they would have to eat a lot of it to even be a problem...really dnt worry abot itif there after 17 weeks or so its alright...jeff

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Actually high amounts of calcium can be a problem in ANY non-laying fowl including non-laying hens and pullet not laying.
    Even the egg industry sees this and use a pre-layer feed that has a lower calcium amount than a typical layer feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by