Layer, Grower and Oyster HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 04SportsterChick, Jul 9, 2011.

1. 04SportsterChick

04SportsterChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    Maryland
    I have read so many posts on this subject and I think I have a plan now. I do not want to duplicate questions on here but please tell me your thought on my plan.[​IMG]
    I have 6 girls that will be 18 weeks tomorrow. They have been on grower and some scraps. They are in a run and well the grass is gone, they do get some bugs. I have started to let them out an hour before bed time due to our neighbors free running dog they have to be supervised. Hopefully we can keep this up and they can get some free range time. I have maybe a few more days left of grower. I have not seen an egg yet and am super excited to get my first egg!! So my plan is to keep buying grower and throw out some oyster shell in the run until I see an egg. Then I will buy layer and mix with the grower until the grower is gone and they are on layer only. How does my plan sound? Again I am not trying to repost the same question over and over...I just have read so many different things. Thanks all in advance for any info you have to offer. Did I mention how excited I am....I can't wait for my first egg![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    How does my plan sound?

I'd put the oyster shell in a bowl so they can eat whatever they want of it.

It will get wasted on the ground.

Other than that, your plan is fine.

It's just chicken feed, and there is no need to worry about "right" or "wrong" as long as the birds are healthy​

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Your plan is fine (I agree about putting the oyster shell in a dish or something). Since they are 18 weeks you could switch them to Layer if you are any where near being out of grower. But either way, it sounds fine.

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:I'd put the oyster shell in a bowl so they can eat whatever they want of it.

It will get wasted on the ground.

Other than that, your plan is fine.

It's just chicken feed, and there is no need to worry about "right" or "wrong" as long as the birds are healthy

X2. I like using the small block holder for horses. I use one side for my oyster shells and the other for grit! They can go get some when they want it!!

5. 04SportsterChick

04SportsterChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    Maryland
    Thank you so much for the help. I will put the oyster shell in a bowl and start that now. They seem very happy and healthy so I am just waiting for my fist egg. I totally enjoy my chickens they are so much fun.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by